stillpoints question

Is it best to use the stillpoints directly under the plinth of my rega 2 or should I use other footers (herbies iso cups ) under the table sitting on a 1 inch hardwood shelf and put the stillpoints under the hardwood?-thanks.
danovak
The way it works is, if you have to isolate from the platform you are on, use squishy stuff. If you have to couple to the platform you are on (it is acoustically dead), use hard points like the Stillpoints.

A 1" thick hardwood platform is not likely to be acoustically dead, so I would start with the iso cups.

You can test by playing a record at low volume, then playing the same track at as high a volume you can muster. Does the sound seem harsher, more 'jangly'? Now try the iso cups and repeat the process. Did the sound get smoother at volume? If yes- you went in the right direction, if no, try the Stillpoints and repeat.

This is dull stuff and can be like work, but it can also pay off. Sometimes keeping notes can help. Have fun!
I would agree with Atmasphere, the hardwood is not accoustically dead so you're not draining off vibrations from the tt with the Stillpoints. The Stillpoints should be directly coupled to a vibration absorber, something like a sandbox or such.

The Iso cups may make things smoother, but they will likely be more smeared as well, its like you're adding suspension to a non-suspended tt. I find this isolation scheme totally wrong for my VPI, would think it wrong for the Regas as well. I previously owned a Rega P25, isolated it with a sandbox, worked best for me.

I would like to hear an argument for squishy suspensions under non-suspended tt's. I realize it may deccouple from a flimsy platform, and in that way, maybe a good thing. But an accoustically dead platform coupled solidly to the tt drains both the tt generated vibrations and decouples from external forces.

Springy things underneath an accoustically dead platform make sense to me as well, may serve to further decouple from outside forces.
now I have the tt sitting on the stillpoints with a thin wood shelf under them that is part of a 3-tier sound organization stand- do you think that is okay?