Steve Hackett's The Shrouded Horizon, 2011's best.

Steve Hackett's The Shrouded Horizon (CD1). If you have the double CD, the CD2 is instrumental and some live stuff.

It is obvious that his song writing has improved by leaps and bounds for his last 2 works Out of The Tunnel's Mouth (which I love also) and TSH.

But the richness of flavours, synth sounds and effects he uses in his last CD are phenomenal. His playing is energetic and enthusiastic, but with great balance. His singing I feel has improved also. I just do not find any weaknesses with this CD. It should be a landmark release for him.

The songs with Chris Squire on bass are great, together they fill the space quite nicely.

Also as usual, he finds beautiful melodies to anchor the songs as well.
jsujo
Out of The Tunnel's Mouth seems a little better than TSH in my opinion.

Just wait until Steve releases Squackett (a Steve Hackett/Chris Squire CD). That should be excellent!
Its very good as are many of Hackett's solo albums over the years...too many gems there to mention.

I've become a huge Hackett fan again over the last 10 years or so.

HAckett is a very unique and prolific artist, guitarist and composer. His large catalog of quality work may surpass even that of his much better known and applauded ex bandmate, Peter Gabriel.

HE also has several very excellent live DVD releases that I believe any progressive minded music lover could appreciate.

If you look at the accomplishments and solo output of the ex Genesis band members over the years (including Anthony Phillips), its amazing the amount of perhaps unmatched total musical talent that existed in that band.
Completely agree! I think I now have (nearly) everything Steve has done - some on vinyl, more recent stuff on CD, and 2 DVD concerts. Since receiving my copy of "Shrouded . . ." it's become one of my regular spins.
Its very good as are many of Hackett's solo albums over the years...too many gems there to mention.

I've become a huge Hackett fan again over the last 10 years or so.

HAckett is a very unique and prolific artist, guitarist and composer. His large catalog of quality work may surpass even that of his much better known and applauded ex bandmate, Peter Gabriel.

HE also has several very excellent live DVD releases that I believe any progressive minded music lover could appreciate.

If you look at the accomplishments and solo output of the ex Genesis band members over the years (including Anthony Phillips), its amazing the amount of perhaps unmatched total musical talent that existed in that band.
I am not impressed with this album at all (everything being subjective of course).

However, I do like Live Rails a lot.
Genesis was over for me when he left the group. I'm glad he did so we got all those great records from him.
agreed!

Genesis was over for me when he left the group. I'm glad he did so we got all those great records from him.
Been impressed with his releases after he left Genesis, from "Voyage of the Acolyte" to his classical compositon and playing of "Midsummer's Night Dream".
thanks for the head's up. It's on order now . . .

Steve Hackett's solo work is all great.