Stereo pre-amp with AV processor?

Hi,

I want to buy a 2 channel stereo power amp to power my L/R speakers of an 11.1 ch HT. For the sake of better Stereo Music. Probably Anthem STR

I currently have a Denon X8500h, and considering replacing it with Anthem AVM60 or MRX 1120.

In that case, will the Anthem STR pre-amp add any value? Or will it be, “as I assume”, redundant to the AVR/processor, with no value added at all?

Thanks,
Seif
seif
By using a separate Stereo Pre-Amp vs 2 Channels of a AV PrePro you should notice an improvement and at the very least you will be able to run only the 2 Channel side of your system and not consume power for components not in use. That alone should aid in cleaning the signal path. I have been doing this for years and plan to continue till I die or go deaf which ever comes first. Make sure that the Stereo Pre has Unity Gain AKA HT pass thru , that allow the passing of the front channel signal and all volume is controlled via the AV ProPro.
As a suggestion I would consider not going with the same brand on both Pre amps, otherwise the benefits would be minimized by maintaining the “house sound”. Perhaps Tube on the 2 Channel?
That's kind of what I'm thinking, only I'm using an integrated that I don't want to change or break.

The Anthem receiver (or Marantz) would give me HDMI switching + 3 more channels for movies.
Thanks @theo ,

Since there is no key technical difference other than the improvement of a dedicated system for 2 ch, I will try to find a way to audition the 2 cases side by side and hear the difference...

The stereo pre-amp that I am considering is $4k, so if not necessary, I other things on my wish list that may make a bigger improvement to the overall experience.

I wish to buy a multichannel DSD DAC, Kaleidescape, etc...

On another note, what brands/models of 2 channel pre-amp would you recommend?

Seif, I am at a loss on Pre-Amps in the price range that you are seeking. It has been a few years since I made a pre-amp purchase and at that point I upgraded within the Audio Research product line and had my mind set on what I was going to buy. I think before anyone here on A’gon can make recommendations, it would be helpful to know what you have now for amplification, speakers etc.

I can tell you that I had an Anthem D2v for quite a few years and sold it and bought a Marantz AV8805 recently. I am really liking it, but I only use if for surround and can’t say how it sounds in comparison to the Anthem. I will tell you that when my previous Audio Research was back at AR for repairs, I used the Anthem for stereo and was not happy with it by comparison. And from what I have been able to tell on the Marantz is that it is warmer in sound and less complicated to navigate. But I have to take in to consideration that there is at least 10 years in technology evolution involved. I was going to buy the AVM60 but it doesn’t have 6 channel analog inputs and that is why I settled on the Marantz.

But if you are looking at new in the 4K price range for 2 channel, I might suggest Marantz, Parasound, Bryston has a unit at 4500 that you may be able to negotiate to 4K. I am sure there are others.

If you are thinking 4K used, then the Ayre, McIntosh, Audio Research etc.

You have some research to do, and as mentioned it might help garner more advice with a list of involved equipment

Good Luck

Theo

Self we are an Anthem dealer and we work equally with both Home Theater and music systems. 

The Anthem STR preamp is good there are better two channel preamps and even better dacs. 

It all comes down to what you are trying to achieve.

Please reach out to us  we can be of assistance with your quest.

Our shop has a lot of the top brand of gear and we actually do routinely merge these two types of systems.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ