stereo for someone special

Hi
I'm thinking of putting together a stereo for my mom and am curious if anyone else has attempted this. It would be awesome if I could pair non power hungry floor standing speakers with a tube integrated where the source would be the dvd/cd player.
velocityofhue

Showing 1 response by br3098

At the risk of generalizing; I don't know many women (actually, one) who enjoy what we affectionately call "critical listening" - that is, sitting down in front of two speakers and listening to music without any other distractions. Most of the women I know (wife, daughter, friends wives, etc) play music as background noise while doing other things. Seldom is their attention focused on the music, and when it is it always sounds good enough whether the source is a $20K system or a Wave Radio.

The one exception I know is my younger daughter, who is a music major in college and spins vinyl. She will sit in her listening chair in her room and listen to classical and opera recordings. But my recent atempts to upgrade her Nuforce Icon system to something better were rebuffed by the audiophile ego-shattering phrase "it's good enough, Dad!" She's definately not an audiophile... yet.