Step up from AT150MLX on Technics 1200

Hi,

I have been enjoying my AT 150MLX for about 18 months now with a Jolida JD9 and Technics 1200 table.

However, the upgrade bug is biting and I would appreciate any advice on some choices to consider for an upgraded cartridge.

There is nothing wrong with the AT150, I just wonder what I might be missing. I have been reading about Nagaoka MP500 and Ortofon 2M Black but do not know that these would be that much better for like twice the price of the AT150.

I have class D amplification and Maggie 3.6's so a cartridge with a little bit more warmth and bass would seem to make sense due to the leaness of the SS and Maggies.

Has anyone else made a change from the AT150 and got to something that they like better? And why!?

Thanks!
dsper

Showing 2 responses by stevecham

I have the 2M black and an AT440mla and what I highly recommend is to buy a vintage Shure V15 IV from Wittsolutions (eBay reseller) and then a new stylus for that cart from Ed Saunders. I guarantee you will thank me for this amazing combo. Should run you no more than $500 for both. This was one of the finest cartridges EVER made.
Dsper, if you got your IV from Witsolutions, try both the stylus that comes with it as well as the new Jico and let us know the differences.