Stay W/B&W 805's or goto a bigger speaker

Please help with any feedback. I have a Proceed PRE & a Classe' Ca100 amp. My CD player is Ultech UCD-100 and I have a Velodyne fsr-12 sub. I'm trying right now it without the sub in place. I'm not really sure what is the best way to hook it up.Also instead of buying extra cables to hook up the sub, would it be better to just buy bigger speakers? Also I would like to buy bal. cables to the amp, but if I hook up the sub inbetween the amp and pre I would have to go unbal.
Thanks for any answers, Jim
gretchen

Showing 2 responses by mrowlands

In a system that wasn't even as good as your's, I felt that the highpass crossover in an HGS-12 (should be at least as good as the FSR-12) just mucked up the midrange a little too much. I'd hook the Classe up directly with balanced cables and run unbalanced cables to the Velodyne (assuming the Proceed has both outputs). You'll have to set the Velodyne crossover at about 40 to 45 Hz to come in under the 805s. I think that you'd have to spend ALOT more to get speakers with the quality of sound of the 805s along with significantly more bass. If you can properly dial in the Velodyne, you should be very happy. Note that you shouldn't have to spend an arm and a leg for cables for the Velodyne. Start out with Radio Shaft gold series and put the rest of your budget for the balanced cables. By the way, if you have the cash and a large room, by all means go for the larger speakers!
Jim, you could use the Monster ICs (it sounds like they're RCA) for the Velodyne and get decent cables for CD to Pre to Power. Your system is worthy of cables as per bmpnyc, but if you're new to this, you need to be aware that cables in this league can sound significantly different from each other and, if you're accoustics/hearing is good enough, cables like the Harmonic Tech can sound horrible until they're broken in. Which reminds me, although cables can help here, if you're having problems with soundstage and image, make sure your speaker and listening positions are optimized and then check into some accoustic treatments (plenty of info on the net and in books for this). Check out the Cable Company for renting cables to compare. Good luck and have fun.