Static electricity Killin me.

Everytime I get up and touch any part of my rig I shhot a two inch lightning bolt onto my equipment. It's gotten so bad that I'm picking the equipment I figure it has the least impact on to shock, before I touch the piece that I'm actually after. You guys experience the same thing? And if so, what's the best way to get rid of the buildup? Speaker binding post? Cd player chasis? If I touch the wadia 170i first, it actually stunts it for a second.
128x128b_limo

Showing 2 responses by jp1208

I had lots of static as well and was afraid to touch any metal part of my equipment. I have lots of carpet and it didn't matter if I had shoes on or off. I sprayed areas with static guard which helped for a little while but then the static would be back in a couple of days. Once I started raising my cables off the carpet the static started to diminish but was not completely gone. I think what killed it completely for me was when I eliminated one dedicated line which I felt had a questionable ground. I just turned that breaker off and ran the audio through the other dedicated circuit. Eventually I will check the ground on the one breaker. I had a subwoofer plugged into that circuit which caused a hum. Now it is pretty rare if I get a static shock and if I do it is minimal. I also think static may attenuate the high frequencies and raising the cables off the carpet did help.
B-limo, get some blank cd cases or paper cups to put under the cables. See if this stops the big arcing going on.

Open the cd case so it can support itself and then run the cable over the top. They only need to be spread out about every 3'.

The paper cup needs to be cut and slotted on the bottom. This is a really cheap way to see if raising the cables off the carpet helps. Do this and see if you still get shocked without doing anything else.

It's pretty cold and dry here in Reno too!