Starting out. - need your counsel

I need a preamp/processor to tie a family video system together.

At this point I have a TV, a DVD/SACD player, a VCR, several stereo and mono amps, plenty of interconnects, several small speakers, and a JANIS subwoofer/amp. I also have digital cable as a source. (I have no desire to play music on this system, only video stuff. I have an adequate audiophile system in my music room.) Our family room is rather small, 15x20' or so. No loud music. I don't know anything about Dolby or DTS or any of that stuff.

IS there an inexpensive option for me? I can buy new or used, but would rather buy used or deep discount here on A'gon. However, I would like as transparent a system as possible with a remote - the two channel has spoiled us vs. the junk that passes as theatre that screeches. I also will not tolerate ground loops and such. The power to the room is dedicated.
Ag insider logo xs@2xivanj

Showing 1 response by mwp7373

I recently upgraded my surround sound/HT system by replacing a Yamaha RX-V995 Receiver used as a preamp only and would recommend that particular unit highly as an affordable means to 5.1 processing. It's no longer made, but a lot of them were sold and I'm sure you could find a nice one on the used market - original retail started at 1K and declined to $800 when the replacement receiver was announced. It will decode DTS, Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital, has the 5.1 channel analog pass through, boasts remarkably good specs for the price, an analog volume control, and has 5.1 pre-outs to bypass the amplifier section of the receiver. (One of the few receivers in its class I could find that offered this feature). Also, for mass produced electronics, I have never encountered a company that builds stuff that lasts like Yamaha. I still use a turntable of theirs that I bought new in 1976. I know you said you wouldn't be using this for music, but you might want to look at the used market for some DTS music discs if you go that route. I have a few, and while not up to multichannel SACD standards, they offer a really expanded and improved music listening experience when the recordings are properly engineered. Best of luck with your search.