SS balanced preamplifier for Krell FPB 400cx

Currently my system is,

Sony DVD player/Laptop Music Server
Mark Levinson 360S DAC
Balanced Audio Technology VK-3iX Preamplifier
Krell FPB 400cx Amplifier
Focal JmLabs Electra 926 Speakers
Balanced Audioquest cables

I am extremely happy except sometimes I feel that some speed and resolution is lacking. Because I have listened to other components performed flawlessly at other places, I believe tube preamplifier is the limiting factor. I have decided to experiment with balanced solid state preamplifier and currently considering used Mark Levinson 380s, Pass Labs X1 or Ayre K-5xe.

Kindly write your opinions.

Regards,

Haroon
haroon

Showing 2 responses by levy03

just hooked up an x1 purchased here on agon. almost exactly what i was hoping for. this is the 4th pre in 6 weeks and i think it hit the mark.

was really enjoying the sound without a pre. using my ps audio pwd without a pre was a tough act to follow in my rather limited price range. wanted a pre for connection reasons with a mostly hands off approach to the sound. with about 24 hours of warm up, the x1 is already sounding fantastic. will do some a/b's in a few days to see how it compares to having no preamp. i'm thinking it'll fair very well.

alot of folks recommended x1 and in the 2k-ish price range used, it's a good value imo. having tried the aleph p already makes me more then willing to try more pass gear.

glad i decided to try the x1. so far it's fitting in just right.
thanks you Srwooten. so far i do like the sound with the x1. don't have golden ears so i need to do an a/b comparison to determine which configuration works best for me. i think it's gonna be close this time.

i can tell you that the x1 gives me the added detail up high that i found missing with the aleph p (otherwise the aleph p was outstanding). it also sounds like i have better control down low with the x1 vs the the other pre's i've tried.

if i didn't enjoy satellite radio so much, i'd be going without a preamp, as it does sound sweet when using the pwd/pwt. like i said before....just looking for connectivity options while keeping the sound as unchanged as possible. hoping the x1 is it this time.