SS Amp to replace VAC 300.1 in a side-ways move?

I've owned several very nice high-end solid state amplifiers. But, nothing has given me the same musical enjoyment as my VAC-300.1, which is a tube design.

I may be making some changes in my home, in which a tube amp will no longer be very practical.

Now being so hooked on that VAC tube "magic," I am concerned that I just will not be as satisfied, if I go back to a solid state amp.

I am not necessarily looking for a big list of SS amp recommendations to check out. More specifically, I am looking to hear from folks who have gone from the 300.1 (or similar class of tube amp, VTL, etc) to a solid state amp, AND BEEN HAPPY WITH THEIR SS SELECTION, over the long-haul.

Is there a solid state power amp that truely has the magic of a tube amplifier?

Thanks.
barrelchief

Showing 2 responses by mikelavigne

i have lots of tube lovers visit my room and they seem to be just fine with my darTZeel NHB-108 Stereo amp. recently, i upgraded it with new boards, which added 'slam', improved the sense of ease and control, and lowered the noise level. the dart is a sealed amp and does not get very warm so it's particularly well designed for challenging installations. typical Swiss jewel like perfectionist construction.

i've heard various VAC amps and i think the dart would come as close as any ss to the VAC's strenghts, and improve it in some places; the darTZeel has a very natural character, it's sweet and extended in the highs, delicate and transparent in the mids, and it would have lower noise floor. it will be more linear in the bottom end. the dart won't quite bloom with the VAC, but it will equal or better the ambient retrieval and 'air'.

most importantly, the dart 'swings' and 'boogies' with wonderful microdynamics and nuance.

the dart does not sound solid state or 'like tubes'......but it might be worth considering.

oh and btw; my reference for 4 years was the 75 watt Tenor OTL monoblocks; which were quite the wonderous tube amps. the darTZeel has much in common with the Tenor.
additional note on the darTZeel. if listeners have not heard a darTZeel NHB-102 with the new upgraded circuit boards (based in the new darTZeel 500 watt monoblocks to be introduced at CES) they have not heard what it can do. it's quite an upgrade to an already wonderful amp.

over the last few years i've compared the darTZeel NHB-108 to all the amps mentioned in this thread (except the VAC 300.1) and while i prefered the dart there were trade-offs in many cases. with the new circuit those trade-offs are eliminated or greatly reduced.

no amp is perfect; but the upgraded darTZeel NHB-102 is worth investigating for those listners who had previously formed opinions about it.