Squeezebox Touch simple 24/192 output mod

A call to all owners of the Squeezebox Touch. You can now install a simple third party app ("Enhanced Digital Output") developed by Triode that allows your Touch to output true 24/192 to your DAC via USB or Coax SPDIF. You need the latest updated Media Server 7.2 installed first. It installs a linux kernal that enables the high res digital output and disables the analog outputs (which you don't need if using a DAC anyway). I installed in a few minutes and can attest that it does improve the overall sound quality. My Bel Canto DAC3 is an earlier model that is capable up to 24/176.4 input and I successfully passed a file of that size and it sounds great. Many others who have 24/192 capability have successfully passed files of that quality as well as long as their processors can handle that input. Logitech is not officially supporting this app, but it really lets your Touch shine and handle the high res files. Apparently the Touch has had this capability all along but has not been unleashed yet. Please share your experiences and get the word out. The Touch will be an even better value than it is now. Enjoy!

For more info go to http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput
swanny76109

Showing 5 responses by swanny76109

I just did an a/b comparison using Diana Krall Live in Paris comparing the Squeezebox with mods feeding ripped redbook FLAC vs. my BelCanto CD1 into AES/EBU transport using the same CD (used to rip the FLAC files into the SB) and I actually think I prefer the overall sound of the Squeezebox. The bass seems a bit deeper and the highs a bit smoother. Diana's sybillants seem a bit more strident straight from the CD. I am going to try a few more comparisons but I sure like what I am hearing.
Thanks for the link to the test file, Audiojedi. My DAC played it but with skips which confirms that my DAC3 won't play 192 without an oscillator upgrade, which I am now seriously considering. Glad your mod worked for you! How do you like the Metrum and what output are you using (S/PDIF or USB?) Swanny
I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on any overall changes to sound quality, even for redbook files, on the modded Touch vs. the previous standard output. Glad this is working for everyone. It's really an ingenious bit of coding. Apparently the developer stripped out a layer of code that was there before in the standard Logitech code. Occam's Razor may apply--the simpler the better. Ncarv, I saw on your system page that you are running other mods on your Touch already. Do you recommend those changes too? Enjoy, guys.
Ozzy, I guess the success of the mod depends on the interaction among all the components in the chain. You are using the Cary DAC in your 306 player? I see you have been trying different digital cables and are using a silver Morrow cable. Any chance that is responsible for your issues? Just wondering. I know my DAC3 is less sensitive to different digital cables I have tried. I have settled on a HAVE Canare 75 ohm BNC for my cable and really like the sound quality. Very smooth, clear, good bass and highs and soundstaging. I see you mentioned liking that on your system page.