Spiking speakers not designed for spikes?

Has anyone had good luck doing this?  I have some PSB Stratus Golds from 1994 that I'm having problems upgrading, so I'm going to try tweaking what I have.  They have these cheesy, wooden bases that I'm nervous about removing or drilling into.  If I do decide to spike these suckers, would anyone recommend outriggers?  Or trying to attach spikes directly to the speakers.
Thank you for your time!
128x128halecory
@bdp24 , you have used/tested both, Townshend seismic pods and Isoacoustic products I believe. Which one is more effective, which one would you recommend under a DIY platform that's placed on the floor?
thanks.

@jkuc, although I have mentioned them several times (to bring them to the attention of anyone who might find them worth looking into), I decided against purchasing any GAIA. I like to analyze the concept and design of any product I am considering, and after doing so with the GAIA came to the conclusion that it’s operating principle is that of a damper more than an isolator.

If you look at the diagram blow-up of the GAIA structure, and read IsoAcoustic’s description of it, you will see the function of the stainless steel housing is only to create separate top and bottom sections; any isolation provided by the GAIA is that of the rubber layer inserted between the top and bottom pieces.

Rubber has for years been used in just about all hi-fi products, whether the old Neoprene feet on the bottom of component chassis’, or the newer compositions such as Sorbothane, Navcom, EAR Isoldamp, and whatever rubber it is IsoAcoustics puts in the GAIA. Rubber DOES possess some properties of isolation, but only down to a not-very-low frequency. Below that number, it acts as not an isolator, but as a damper. That doesn’t interest me.

In contrast, the Townshend Audio Seismic products provide true isolation down to approximately 3Hz, and other more expensive products (the Herzan and Minus-K isolation tables) even lower. Depending on the weight of one’s loudspeakers, two sets of Seismic Pods may cost less than two of the GAIA, and will provide, imo, superior isolation. That DOES interest me.

I have the Pods under my turntable (why a guy like Art Dudley would have finally tried the GAIA under his Garrard 301, but not the Townshend Seismic line---which has been available for a number of years---is something I don’t understand), and will soon be installing them under my tube electronics and loudspeakers.

Before investing in sets of GAIA for loudspeaker pairs ($400 for the III, $600 for the II, and $1200 for the I), I would consider trying the far cheaper Ingress Engineering Roller bearings (or your own even-cheaper DIY version), and/or Geoff Kait’s isolation springs, which provide isolation, not damping.

Thx  bdp24. Gaia seems to be topic of the day and has a very good press. Reviews is just advertising / promotion stuff though.

Yup, the GAIA first came to my attention via a quote from VPI’s Harry Weisfeld, who put them under his KEF Blade loudspeakers and loved the results. Others have also reported hearing benefits from their use, so I've been waiting for someone to compare the GAIA to the Townshend products (which have in the U.K. received the attention the GAIA are receiving in the U.S.), but finally gave up.

A set of the Townshend Pods for my loudspeakers are cheaper than the GAIA II (the speakers are too heavy for the III), so I’m giving them a try first. Based on my use of the Seismic Pods under my turntable, I expect to be pleased with the results. I’m sure the GAIA would also provide an improvement, but I’m not buying both just to find out!

Post removed