Spendor ST vs. B&W 803d vs. PMC PB1i ???

These speakers are all at roughly the same price point, but how do they compare in a high quality 2 channel audiophile system?

I have heard the 803d and PB1i with Bryston electronics (on two different occasions), and liked them both. I will soon compare them side by side at the same dealer.

There is scant information regarding the Spendor ST. Has anyone heard it? How does it compare to B&W or PMC?

Though Spendor has a venerable history, is it still in the same league as B&W or PMC?

Regards,

Mark
toronto416

Showing 2 responses by toronto416

Not gone, but felled by the flu...

Many thanks for the exceedingly good discussion!

As I listen to mostly classical solo piano and chamber music, as well as to jazz (piano trios etc), midrange is especially important. It would appear that the PB1i does not have an ideal midrange driver. In the 803d, B&W certainly did not skimp in the heft and quality of the midrange driver. I will give them both another listen...

In the meantime I have auditioned the Verity Audio Finn, driven by a Luxman pure class A integrated amp, and this was a very musically satisfying system indeed.

The Verity Audio Rienzi may be a worthwhile consideration vs. the 803d. Unfortunately they are not available at the same dealer, so comparing them involves many other variables.

Regards,

Mark
I was able to find the right speakers for me - the Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation - while also being able to support excellence in Canadian audio manufacturing. The VA PA use Scandinavian made drivers.

Vifa used to be Scandinavian, but are now made in the Far East...