Spendor S8e vs. Sonus Faber Grand Piano

I'm considering each of these speakers to be used with
a Moon I-5LE in a 10x13 room. I auditioned the Spendor briefly in my room but not the Sonus.My music taste varies from jazz to classic rock to acoustic folk music. Any input on this would be very helpful. Thanks, Tom
groovetracker

Showing 1 response by doug0201

Neither speaker represents much value at their price point, the Spender is the more accurate speaker which to me makes it more musical and in that small a room its superior off axis response (to the SF) will also pay huge dividends.

The SF Grand P. Homeis has a sound some people like but in that small a room it will show how incomplete a design it is with its ragged off axis response causing it to become bright an fatiguing. In an open space the SF's can be competitive with the Spendors but not in the confines of a small room.

Dynaudio Mini-Monitors (5.25 woofers), ATC SCM-10's or 12's would unravel your two selections at half the cost, especially with the Sim Audio amplification. I suggest these two because I feel neither speaker listed above will perform satisfactorily in your space. The Dynaudio and ATC's are a superior combination for your environment and amp IMO. BTW spending the left over $$$ on some 2x4 wall/room acoustic treatments (if your decore will tolerate it) will simply increase the performance gap.