Spendor D7, D9 but no love Classic 100?

I see plenty of recommendations floating around recent threads for the D7 and D9, but nary a mention of the Classic 100.  I wonder why.  Are no dealers stocking it for demo?

Last summer I was able to audition extensively the Classic 100 vs. the D7 in same system, same room, same afternoon, same music.  The 100 came out on top by some margin.  Just a much more natural sound.  Never heard the D9 but I imagine it's cut from the same cloth, but goes deeper.  The Classic 100 was lively, exciting, dynamic, but also harmonically full and rich and never threadbare.  In contrast, there was something in particular about the D7 treble range that made me uncomfortable.  As always, YMMV, and indeed, it probably already has.

128x128twoleftears

Showing 1 response by salectric

By Classic 100, do you mean the SP-100? If so, it is indeed a classic.  I had a pair of the original SP-100 (before the later variations called the R, R2 etc) for over 15 years and enjoyed them the whole time.  It was often called the “music lovers” speaker as opposed to an audiophile favorite.