Spendor BC1's -How do you set them up best?

I had Spendor BC1s on 18" Sound Organization stands and the treble was a bit shrill, rough and edgy, the bass tuneful but boomy, the midrange recessed and the imaging shut in. For a while, I wondered how they ever got their legendary name and status. They didn't sound anywhere near as good as the LS 3/5a's I was using earlier with my Scott 222c integrated. I am fond of the BBC speaker sound and was wondering "how good a sound can I get from these 1960's designed speakers with this 1960's integrated amp?"

I got a $20 pair of 12" oak stands by Wood Technology. I would have preferred metal stands, but these are hard to find in this height. Now, the Spendors seem much better balanced tonally. The imaging is better also with the tweeters lower. There seems to be a bright and rough sounding spot between the tweeter /supertweeter combo of these speakers, and when the speakers are too high it is aimed at the listener.

Apparently, these speakers are very sensitive to setup. There is some tweaking that can be done with these, and I have heard of things that are not too drastic that bring them to their full potential - specific stands, speaker positioning and alignment, modifications to the port to reduce bass boominess, and even minor crossover modifications to remove a 12 kHz peak near the tweeter / supertweeter crossover point.

Clearly, there is potential here. I don't want to completely redesign and modernize them or the associated electronics. Apart from that, any sugestions on how to make these babies really sing?
johnnybgoode

Showing 1 response by r3mor182c

The BC1 is classic, and im surprised youre having trouble!
They should be on metal spiked stands , about 12-15 inches
from the floor,a minimum of two feet from back walls and three from side walls and angled in, so your in the direct
cross of the stereo sound path as you sit in the middle.
Sit, at least ten feet away if you can and then be thrilled
by an operatic voice just "singing magically" in the center
or left of center postion of the soundstage, as the imaging
is stupendous.The orchestra floats in and behind the speakers and the woodwinds and horns are like real,if your
eyes are closed. The bass will be shy, and dont play to loud or youll bust the bextrene cone. Other than that, their hard to part with, unless you need higher sound pressure levels and a tighter bass. Then go to sp1 or sp2/3
regards