Spending a month's salary

I don't have much experience as an audiophile. Based on my research, the bulk of spend should be on fine speakers. I have $20k to invest in either a superior AMP, DAC or pair of speakers. What to do?

My room is on the smaller side, listening position is about 7-8ft from the speakers. I suppose bookshelf speakers are appropriate. Right side speaker is very close to side wall <1ft. Left side is open to 6-8ft. Back wall is about 10 ft from listening position. Speakers sit about 3ft from front wall.

My current setup:

Revel 106 speakers

Parasound P6 pre and A21+ amp

Node 130 streamer w/ upgraded Teddy PS

AQ cable loom.

I prefer bookshelfs given my room. Separates are ideal, though I would like to consider an all in one like a Boulder 866.

Which component is most important. I'm not looking to have an unbalanced system. Eg. $15k speakers and a $500 DAC.

Appreciate any insight.

tee_dee

IMO, Travel. Audition until a pair of speakers knocks you over. Buy them. Compromise on the rest. I did that with Magnepan, 50 years ago. 70% of the budget, and a good decision. YMMV

Good, reliable electronics need not cost the earth. For example, used Bryston, even 20 years old, will still give you a pleasant and satisfying sound, with 90% of the clarity provided by the latest and highest end. IMO

I'll add my vote to splitting your funds between speakers, DAC and room treatments. Assuming you haven't already invested in room treatments, this make make a big improvement for the dollars invested. 

The DAC in the Node is not up to the level of your other gear, and with better speakers it will be even more obvious. There are some great sounding DACs available for a few thousand including some already mentioned. I'm a fan of the Denafrips DACs, but it's worth auditioning other options if you can since there are distinct differences in the way they sound. 

The Node is a decent streamer, particularly with an LPS. I think you'd have to spend a fair amount more to get an appreciable improvement and the money is probably better spent on speakers, DAC and room treatments. 

Speakers always make the most difference in any system. The best bookshelf I have heard is the Fine Audio F1-8. 

What is it that you feel is missing or you believe could be better? What do you believe are the shortcomings of your system? Have you heard something else that has set you on this path?