Spectron Mk II, is it really that good.

I have been researching several of the new “green”, compact high power class “D” amps. It seems that the new version of the Spectron Musician III SE Mk II, is pretty much considered the king of the hill. Having no dealers near buy, I can’t actually listen before buying. My question is, there seem to be lots of happy owners, but are there any current, or former owners who are, were, not happy with the amp, or is it really that good.

FYI: Current amp is a PASS, X-350.5. A monster to move around, hot, cost a fair amount to run, but a wonderful sound.

All comments and opinions welcome.
bwhaler

Showing 1 response by nick778

Perhaps it is system or speaker dependent or the sound you are looking for but I like my MK2 with V-Cap upgrade (makes it more liquid sounding). The sound is very musical sort of between tubes and SS but with tremedous headroom and tigh solid bass.

I have B&W 803D speakrs that can dip to 2-3 ohms and the Spectron is stable down to 0.1 ohms which really helps....especially if one has electrostatic speakers.

I tried a lot of amps before settling on the Spectron (I like the MK with V-Cap upgrade more) as it works well with my speakers and system. I use a tube preamp and the combination works well for me.

What I didn't use to like were the round black speaker posts that were not suitable for bi-wiring. However they now use a Cardas regular speaker post and it is a welcome change.