Speakers under $50k that rival $200k+ speakers?

Curious if there are any used or new (less likely) speakers out there that rival flagship speakers like Focal Grande Utopia, Rockport Lyra, Marten Coltrane Supreme 2, Magico M6, Raidho TD 4.2 or D4.8 etc?

I'll throw out a contender. If you look on ebay and the used market you can sometimes find a Von Schwekert VR 10 for around $18k CAD and from what I heard it can rival many TOTL speakers like the Grande Utopia. Do you guys have any thoughts?
smodtactical

Showing 3 responses by jtgofish

The Yamaha NS 5000s are probably as good as anything regardless of price.Certainly in terms of sounding real and natural.Other far more expensive speakers might sound more impressive and more "hi fi" but I doubt they are better.
I think the Yamahas are really for musicians and music lovers rather than audiophiles.They are not about sonic fireworks or awesomeness .They are about musical and tonal purity.Like Bakoon amplifiers and Supratek preamps.Using Anthem pre and power amps would not do them justice.If any company knows how instruments should sound it is Yamaha.
Great to hear that sort of report.I really think the NS5000s set a new standard for midrange reproduction.The rest is very good too.The drivers being all made from the same Zylon material must also help with tonal consistency and cohesion.
If you are concerned about the bass overdriving your room Yamaha makeĀ  acoustic panels which you position justĀ  behind the speakers.