Speakers under $50k that rival $200k+ speakers?

Curious if there are any used or new (less likely) speakers out there that rival flagship speakers like Focal Grande Utopia, Rockport Lyra, Marten Coltrane Supreme 2, Magico M6, Raidho TD 4.2 or D4.8 etc?

I'll throw out a contender. If you look on ebay and the used market you can sometimes find a Von Schwekert VR 10 for around $18k CAD and from what I heard it can rival many TOTL speakers like the Grande Utopia. Do you guys have any thoughts?
smodtactical

Showing 1 response by hthaller

A year or so ago, I was at Boulder Amplifier and heard their reference system (and room) built around Stella Grand Utopia's.  Easily a > $500k system, not counting the cost of the room.  They poured a separate foundation for the listening room, built the room, and then built the factory around it.  Delightful overkill :-)
Not that long thereafter at a Colorado Audio Society meeting, I heard a member's system that featured a set of Acoustic Zen Crescendo II's in a smallish room.  (His electronics were home-built).  I was struck at how similar the soundstage, dynamics and overall voicing was to the Grand Utopias.  They are $25K new and I recently saw a used pair advertised on Audiogon for ~$9k.  Didn't have the spare change lying about or I would have pounced without hesitation. 

I think they're a must audition in the price range you're talking about.