speakers/turntable for Marantz 2325

Hello - longtime lurker and first-time poster. I apologize for adding to the "what should I get" posts, but everyone here seems knowledgeable. After doing a bunch of research, everything sounds kind of intimidating to me.

My dad had a 2325 receiver in the basement that I just had restored and I'm looking to build a stereo system around it (gotta start somewhere).

I listen to everything under the sun and have a large vinyl collection ranging from old caribbean and cuban music to jazz, "indie rock" (such as arcade fire, the national, etc.), old folk and blues...the list goes on.

Anyway, I have a budget of around $3,000. Here's what I'm looking at:

Turntable: VPI Scoutmaster, Rega P5, or Linn LP12. The search has been kind of intimidating. I want something I can set up, not have to mess with often and get a lot of mileage out of (Leaning against the Linn for that reason).

I like the VPI stuff, but is it to "neutral" running through that old tuner?

Would a Scoutmaster or Rega not match the phono output of the Marantz Receiver? I would rather buy used and get more than new and get less...

Speakers: I need bookshelf monitors due to space restrictions. They don't have to be loud, they just have to sound good. Looking at the Epos ELS, Epos M12, Old Advent and AR speakers. I like the look of the vintage speakers, but I'm more concerned with sound.

CD player: for now, I'm going to use the aux function and a portable player and get something serious next year. Right now, just want the turntable and the speakers.

Any thoughts? I have a feeling, as does my girlfriend, that the insanity...the upgrades...the tinkering has begun!

Thanks for your patience and help.
chicagodrummer

Showing 2 responses by johnnyb53

06-10-08: Chicagodrummer
...I need bookshelf speakers because of space restrictions. ...
Are you planning to put the speakers on actual bookshelves, or on speaker stands? If on stands, then there are many small footprint floor standing speakers that would occupy about the same space as a mini-monitor on a stand. For example, the Gallo Reference 3 or 3.1 has a footprint of 8"w x 14"d. The Totem Hawks are less than 7" x 10", but 34" tall.

If you go with small speakers, there are so many good ones at reasonable prices. I saw a review of a $500 pair of PSB Image B25 compacts that had astonishing smoothness and linearity.

But again, Totem has quite a lineup of compact speakers that produce surprising bass and power handling in the 100-150w range (a good match with the Marantz 2325).

Another candidate would be the Paradigm Reference Studio 20.

As for turntables, you said,
The search has been kind of intimidating. I want something I can set up, not have to mess with often and get a lot of mileage out of (Leaning against the Linn for that reason).
Given that you want something rugged, reliable, dependable, and non-fussy, you may want to consider something from the Technics SL12x0 family or the Denon DP500M. Yes, they're direct drives with removable headshells, but that makes cartridge installation and swapping easier. They have smooth, silky controls, are built to really close tolerances, have speed accuracy you won't find elsewhere for anything near the price, and the tonearms are not too shabby.

If you go for the Technics, I suggest you order from www.kabusa.com, and get the tonearm rewire, tonearm fluid damper, Isonoe feet, and possibly the fluid damper. If you get the SL1210 M5G, you don't need the tonearm rewire.

As for "audiophile" belt drive turntables, it seems that the Regas are the least fussy. You could get a Rega P5 and put on a Rega Exact cartridge, and alignment would be automatic. I heard the Exact cartridge on a P7 and was very impressed. Incredibly listenable.
Would a phono pre-amp running through the built in Marantz phono pre-amp cancel out the impact of a good, dedicated phono pre-amp?
Actually, since the Marantz already has a phono section, if you got a low-output moving coil cartridge, all you'd need is the stepup transformer, and Denon's own AU-300LC transformer is a perfect match for the DL-103 or Zu-103. You would plug that into the Marantz's phono input.

If you use an outboard phono preamp, however, you'd plug that into the Marantz's "Aux" input, or you could plug it into a tape input and listen by activating the corresponding "Tape Monitor" button.
Good advice, Carbonti. The Technics is period correct for the Marantz, and I agree that a good MM cart would keep the resolution level uniform, which promotes musical cohesiveness and prevents constant "leapfrogging" of various components.

Other cartridges to consider are the new Ortofon 2M series (probably Blue), the Denon DL-160 (really great with the KAB fluid damper and a Sumiko headshell), or the Goldring 10x2 series. kabusa.com has the best prices on the Goldring carts that I've seen anywhere.