Speakers to replace B&W N804s ?????

While a fan of B&W, I think I want to look at some of my alternatives to my current N804’s. I am in a difficult space and I think the B&Ws are too unforgiving. They sound really great with acoustic and most classical music, but are fatiguing with other music. Its not a glaring/obvious problem, but I find I am listening less and less to so much of my music b/c its just not as enjoyable. I am happy with my source components (& have eliminated them as the cause (Cary 306, Cary Cinema 5, Krell HTS, XLO cables). I have also made adjustments to the room (acoustic panels, curtains), but the dimensions and layout cannot change. I would like some recommendations for a small floorstander that provides detail, but errs on the warm side. The speakers will also be part of a HT set-up and must look good.

The room – 12X13 with a 5-foot opening into a sun parlor 7X12. The speakers straddle the ent. center in the corner. I know, not optimal, but the room must be functional. The speakers are 6” to 8” away from the wall. Based on some reading, I thought possible contenders would be Meadowlark Osprey, Triangle Luna, Von Schweikert VR2 or VR4jr (maybe too large). Any thoughts on these speakers? Any suggestions or recommendations? Thank you
macct

Showing 1 response by gliderguider

You could take a look at the Coincident Partial Eclipse (or Super Eclipse III if you have the budget). All the speakers in the Coincident line sound very good - quick, realistic and smooth, with excellent imaging and a well balanced tonality that's just a touch sweet. The side mounted woofers make them very flexible when it comes to room placement.

I have N804s in my living room system, but I got them before I found out how really good some other speaker lines are. I'm a major fan of the Coincident lineup now, having heard six systems that use them.