Speakers to build a $6500 system around

I am frustrated with all the speaker choices available in the $2k range. There's just too many! I listen to all music types but I lean towards jazz, vocals and reggae. I have a bedroom system consisting of an Rega Apollo cd player, Music Angel EL34 integrated pushing an old pair of Energy 4.1e's which I enjoy very much. However, this set-up in my larger tiled family room just doesn't cut it. Can someone recommend a source,full range speaker and integrated combo that can deliver "you are there" kind of sound for around $6500? My room is not ideal. It measures 16' x 20'. One side opens out to a dining area. I have to place these speakers against the long wall. I would really appreciate any opinions on speakers in the $2000 dollar range that I can really build something special upon. Thanks!
128x128ejineffect

Showing 2 responses by swampwalker

Vandersteen 2CE sig IIw are available at that price new, or much less used for the older 2CE sig. One of the real bargins in high-end. Another option is Von Schweikert VR4jrs used. The Audio Aero Prima CDP is quite good at about $1k used. Vandersteen house sound is more laid back but very, very good, non-fatiguing sound. VS 4JR more up-front; maybe more rock or big band oriented.

Or how about Merlin VSMs (older model, used); ARS Sonum tube integrated (used) and the Audio Aero Prima. That should come in right about that $6k budget and the speakers can be upgraded over time.
Some people call Vandersteen "laid back", to my ears that's a bit of an overstatement. Veiled is not even in the picture (to my ears). I did not notice the fact that your room is tiled. In that case, I think the Vandys might be perfect. However, some have said that they are low on the WAF scale. The 3s are pretty darn big, but the 2s do not, to me, dominate a room, but you should definitely run them by "she who must be obeyed";~)