Speakers to beat wife-factor ?

I'm looking to replace my Klipsch Forte's with something more refined, but wife-factor requires placement very near rear brick wall, in a 12x14 room (England). Child-factor requires floor-standers -- boxes on stands wouldn't survive. Would like a Maggie-flavored sound, but is there anything that can deliver with its back to the wall and its feet on the ground? I want to keep the solid bass I have now with the Forte's, but want to improve the rest of the sound. Is my quest impossible?
mr_spock
Since you like Maggies, another option is to get them. Go with 1.2 or 1.6 to keep the size down. For backround music you can keep them close to the wall, for serious listening you can bring them out into the room. If you need better bass, add a subwoofer in one or both corners.
Forget the wooden boxes! Check out the "Avantgarde".If she doesn't fall in love with them... well you are on your on. I have a phone number, they will send you a catalog. 1-800-944-9537 (i saw them in the latest "stereophile")
You would not get Forte like bass from the Magnepans or any panel speaker ... they just don't produce bass the same way. A good box speaker that allows placement relatively close to the rear wall is the Aerial Acoustics Model 6. It is small (for a floor stander) and quite handsome. Unfortunately the UK price is probably high compared to the US price. Good luck!
I have a similar problem with my martin logan quest z's (for which a minimum of three feet from the wall is recommended. I placed ASC studio traps (www.tubetrap.com) behind each with good results. However, the speakers are still about two feet away from the wall. You might be able to get the Maggies closer than that. Good luck!
The Gradient Revolutions are supposed to sound great next to a wall - I have not heard them, though. I would avoid having to move speakers all the time, if I were you. To me, the NHT 2.9s sounded like crap the one time I heard them (at hi-fi '98). I don't like Meridian speakers either, but some people do - and they have built in equalizers so that you can ajust them for wall placement.