Speakers near fireplace

I’m moving and in the new house it seems the best speaker position would be to have them on each side of the fireplace. They’re Vandersteen 2CE Signatures. I want to put them about a foot or so to the right/left of the fireplace and about 1-1/2 feet in front of the wall with the fireplace.

There are glass doors on the fireplace but I’m thinking of replacing that with a screen.

I would plan on putting the amp, etc. further to one side of the left speaker. The only real problem I see is that there will be a cable running across the floor (in front of the fireplace) to the right speaker. That and I will have one speaker close to the amp. In the past my rig was basically in the middle of both speakers, what’s the best way to handle 12’ of cable with only 2-3 feet needed on the one side?
jetson
I just saw that it is metal. The ones I recall were made of hard plastic or vinyl.
B
My main speakers (as opposed to the two subs) flank a gas fireplace and are far enough into the room they're not affected in any way by the fireplace. The side walls are far enough away also so the room (largish with a tall sloping ceiling) sounds great as the room has been professionally tuned by myself (I'm a pro sound engineer) by the act of owning furniture, and keeping my listening spot couch away from the back wall. Klipsch Heresy IIIs are short and fat and aren't bothered by the fireplace since the speaker baffles are nearly 3 feet in front of it...and they're horns after all...also not enough heat from the gas fireplace to matter...I had tall tower speakers near the same spot and they didn't get hot either. Note that the rack is to the side of the fireplace, not right next to it, and 10' of speaker cable does the trick, running along the front of the fireplace along with a thick sub cable and the two look unobtrusive and nobody steps on them. The 10' cable for the other speaker simply makes one 12" circle under the rack before going into the speaker.
If your fireplace is anything like mine, and you USE it, I would be far more worried about heat damage to the drivers and cabinets of your speakers than the way it will affect the sound. If that was the only concern, you could use a large absorbent panel in front of the fireplace, but I think that the heat will kill those speakers.
Thanks all, yes it's the heat I'm worried about more than the SQ. 

@gdnrbob - I'm using metal because that has a high heat capacity so it will be the most accurate to test for how hot a black body will get.

If I end up making radiation shields they won't be metal, or at least not all metal. I doubt I'll make radiation shields though, I will likely either have proven it's safe or move the speakers when using the fireplace.
If I was in that situation--I'd seal off the flue, put in some of the ultra-real looking LED candles that flicker, and ditch the glass.  It would look great, no speaker degradation, and you'd have better air quality to boot.  Actually did that at my last home and it looked great and my wife's asthma was better for it as well.