Speakers for Yamaha AS2100

Hello all, 

was recently able to purchase a Yamaha as2100 for a really good price and was wondering what speakers would pair well with it. Budget for speakers will be $2k but am flexible. Was wondering if I could get some feedback from any AS2100 owners. Looking for bookshelf speakers preferably. Listen to a bit of everything but mainly jazz and 80s music. Will not be playing at ear splitting volumes as I live in an apartment. And feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

best,

Mike
mgrec42
A solid state amp like this rated at 150W into 4 ohms and 90W into 8 ohms are going to drive most speakers.  You will get many recommendations in this price range for KEF but I'd probably be scanning the used market and considering something like these Harbeth C7ES3 small standmounts. Lots of personal taste and options to consider.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649609091-harbeth-c7es3-speakers-with-skylan-stands/    
What aspects of sound reproduction and speaker performance are most important to you?
for me I don’t like anything too dry or clinical sounding. I do however value tonal accuracy. I want a piano to sound like a piano, a violin to sound like a violin, and voices to me are a big priority. I’ve heard so many speakers get a lot of things right but the voices sound too nasally and unrealistic if that makes sense. I like totem speakers for their realism and musicality. Wonder if they would pair well? 
Call Fritz!  If you ask him nicely he would probably send you a pair of Carbon 7’s to try out for awhile.  
Take it from me though, you may want to be in a position to buy them beforehand.  I may shed a tear or two when these Carrera BE’s and I have to part...
I have the as2100 and I’m using Merlin TSM’s that I’ve had for about 10 years.   I listen to a lot of jazz, jazz and female vocals and other acoustic music at low to moderate volumes and the Merlins are excellent, although they can be a bit finicky to set up.    If I listened to a lot of rock or at high volumes they wouldn’t be my first choice.   Merlins are no longer in production, but run around 1000 - 1500 on the used market depending on the version.    If I were looking to replace them, I believe Harbeth would be on my short list to audition.   You’ll love the as2100.  Enjoy!
Given what you’re looking for, used ProAc Response D2 or Tablette Signature or Anniversary would be great choices.  For less $ used Nola Boxer would also sound great with your amp.  If you’re looking new the Silverline Minuet Grand is quite a speaker.  I like Totems a lot too, but they can be a bit finicky about electronics so just not sure how they’d play with your Yammy.  I think Joseph Audio speakers do everything Totems do but are easier to drive and a little more forgiving, but good luck finding a pair in your price range.  Best of luck in your search. 
Thanks everyone for the input! I was doing some research and found a pair of Dali rubicon 2 speakers for about $1500 used on us audio mart. Anyone have experience with the brand? From what I’ve read they seem to have a sound signature that I would like. Biggest concern is just finding something that has good synergy with the Yamaha. With the unfortunate circumstances we are in with this virus, I can’t go somewhere to audition (obviously) so I’m limited to just reading and research. Thanks again for all the feedback!
I *hate* not being able to demo speakers - although in my case it’s also because all the brick and mortar stores are long gone. At least the ones with proper demo rooms. The nearest proper showroom is a 3 hour round trip and $50 parking (after validation!).

I’m familiar with the Dali Opticon and heard the Rubicon 6 briefly some time back. My demo of the Opticons was next to Dynaudio (at the far away showroom) and they were comparable, very similar voicing. They’re punchy, fast and dynamic, if a bit more dialed back than Dynaudio IMHO.

The only potential issue I’m seeing here IIRC is they’re not the most efficient speakers. But according to your original post, you’ll only be listening at low-moderate levels. For jazz, voice, acoustic I think you’ll be delighted. Dali are world class. You might take a look on youtube and see if there’s any comparisons or reviews. Sometimes commenters own the product and can shed some additional light.
I own and purchased a pair of Canton Reference 3.2 C Speakers from Accessories 4 Less in January. I was rebuilding my system after being out of this hobby for several years.

I had never heard of the Canton speakers before and I was coming from what I thought was one of the best speakers I ever owned, the Salk HT3. I took a chance of the Cantons, got an amazing price with free shipping and no taxes.

To say I am please is an understatement. IMHO, these are the best sounding speakers I have ever heard with all of the audiophile desirable attributes in spades. 

I believe that the Canton line of speakers are one of the best kept speakers out there for both price and value. Good luck.
As a former owner of this amp used it with elacs b5 at 1st then switched to klipsch P37f, great results with both. At very high levels 70 percent or so clipped with the klipsch and shutdown on EDM heavy bass music, so for moderate listening you will be fine
I regretted selling it after but I went into tubes and it will be hard for me going SS again
@willland I recently purchased the Canton Vento Reference 9 DC from Accessories for Less, and they are remarkable speakers.  It's hard to believe that they are being sold for such a low price.  And there's a 30-day return policy, so you are only out return shipping.  Pretty amazing deal.
I’ve looked at those cantons a few times. Tried to find reviews but couldn’t find too many. Can you describe the sound characteristics of them if possible? I know everyone’s taste is different but what is it you like about them? They look very well made as well
The Cantons are very well made - sturdy, beautiful finish, high quality binding posts.  They are a nice balance of warmth and detail.  Good bass for a standmount speaker so the music has a nice foundation in my 16x12 room.  The midrange is resolving without being overly forensic.  And the treble is very easy to listen to but is still extended and clear.  I find it to be a very complete speaker - I notice the music rather than the speaker when I sit down for a listening session.  I'm driving them with an integrated that puts out 135 watts into 8ohms and 240 into 4. That's more than enough power for my room.  They've worked out very well for me in my system.     
I also own the Canton Vento Reference 9 DC.  As mentioned, they are very well made, attractive, and produce a surprising amount of tight bass for their size.  They are very neutral and maybe a little on the "polite" side.  Very easy to listen to, but they don't offer up as much detail as my Harbeth P3ESR or Focal Electra 1008 BE.  The Cantons are a little more on the "warm" side.  If you like that, then they are a great bargain at their current prices at accesories4less.  If you like your sound a little more lively, The P3ESRs are fantastic, but aren't going to have the bass presence of the Cantons, which may be a positive for apartment living.
I have paired my Yamaha AS-2100 with a pair of Harbeths SHL5+
and must admit, that they spund natural with no fatigue after prolonged 
playing music on it.

I alspo owned KEFs bookshelf speakers, which were terryfic, yet they lacked a bit on middle and high part of the spectrum.

I do also realise, that not even two people have same hearing, so I might get some critics, but it"s just my 2 cents.... 
Post removed 
The Elac Vela 403,stand mount ,these other two are stand mount 407,409, .
I have been into audio for 30+ years and the Elecs new designs are outstanding 
and have won several rave awards . ThisnewJet amp tweeter is very special 
clear the floor with dimes it isnot only refined after50-75breakin  but very airy with excellent depth I have found -0 speakers even at $5 k with a better tweeter 
these down firing woofer in the stand mounts  with theirDiamind sandwich paper Stamped aluminum information a relatively smaller speaker packs a punch into the mid 40 hz region and finished as well as speakers 3 x the price they are a excellent  deal ,well worth checking up just go YouTube they shave a great tourturetedt to the woofer ,and the Jet 5 tweeter is builtsolidthe accordion pleats  4 x the surface are vs a cone and are hand folded then robot soldersdriver membrain in place and strong neodymium magnets used.

I have a Yamaha A-S2100 in black, very happy with this integrated amp, great phono preamp is a bonus ! I already had Martin Logan XT-60's , happy with them but the "home theater " profile wasn't doing it for me in the aesthetics department. They are well made, but a little boring in black lacquer and a hulking presence in my listening room.   I did a lot of online/You Tube searches this fall and pulled the trigger on a pair of  walnut Wharfedale Linton's with the matching stands. This is a large bookshelf speaker that certainly checks the room aesthetics box. They just arrived from Music Direct, still boxed. I have 45 days to return them. 

I will get them out after Christmas, any A-S2100/ A-S1100 owners out there have experience with this Yamaha/ Wharfedale Linton combo ?  Thanks.