Speakers for Simaudio Moon I-5

I'm starting to build a system from the ground up and I'm really quite new to it all. The only piece I currently have is the Moon I-5. From here I want to buy speakers and a cd player -- both used. I'd like to get the best bang for the buck.

I'm not very concerned about the cd as I plan to go cheap (a relative term here :) -- probably less than $700. The speakers are another issue. I want to buy something I can live with for a long time.

My current room size is "medium" -- an apartment that I will be in for the next few years until I buy a home. I mostly listen to what most would consider "rock" music. I'm a guitarist and I like listening to others guitarists but with the right setup I'm sure I'll enjoy some classical and jazz.

I'm thinking I'd prefer to go with monitor speaker vs floorstanders and I've been to a few shops to sample what they have - though, since I'm buying used I'd really prefer to stop wasting the saleperson's time.

Short and sweet....out of the few speaker I've heard (dynaudio, B&W, Thiel) I loved the Dynaudio S1.4

Which leads me to believe that the 1.3se might be a great used buy. Although I'm a little concerned about the Moon's ability to drive these speakers. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations or advice. There are so many choices out there it can be overwhelming. That along with buying used/untested can be tough.

Any help appreciated...

John
jroth
richard...definitely consider Audience Au24 cables for your I-5/FS688 combo. I'm a Focus Audio dealer (and a big Sim Audio fan) and have found that the Au24's mid/high frequency performance is an excellent match for the FS688. Also, if you don't plan on bi-wiring, make sure you upgrade the jumpers that come with the FS688.

(disclaimer: I am an Audience dealer, too)
I've heard the I-5/Nova combo with Wilson Benesch Arcs. Stunning! Really big sound with holographic imaging. At first, I thought I was listening to full range speakers. A bit pricey, though. But if you're considering the S1.4's, I'd give the WB's a try. IMHO.
Phil, Thanks for your information, do you know how much will it cost? The local Simaudio dealer suggested me to use cardas cable. any comment? Also please give my some suggestion on my future setup and what kind of digital cable should be used for my DAC?

My future setup will be:
MSB DAC 3 with half Nelson part and a P1000 power supply (currently owned)
Simaudio I-5 LE (plan to get)
Focus Audio 688 or Paradigm signature S2 or Paradigm signature S4(2.5 way) or dynaudio 52SE.

Thanks in advance
richard,

I don't have any experience using Cardas cable; others have told me that they sound "dark", but that is second hand. I know the designer at Focus is a big fan of the upper AudioQuest cables. Of course, personal opinion will play a big part in this.

Assuming prices are the same in Canada, you can see the Audience price-list here:

http://www.audience-av.com/cableprices.htm

Regarding digital cables, the best advice I can give is to find one that is (1) true 75ohms, and (2) between 1.5m and 2m. Personally, I use an Acoustic Zen Silver Byte with great results (disclaimer: I am also an AZ dealer). Regarding the length of the cable, check out this article:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Hope this helps!

Phil
Focus Audio FS688 VS Paradigm S2
Does anyone audition the Paradigm S2 and Focus Audio FS688 side by side? Although they are both Canadian products, it is hard to find a dealer to carry both. In general, I found the Asian Sales Rep. are more prefer to the Focus Audio FS688 (as high end speaker for I-5)as opposite to some Canadian Sales Rep. are more prefer to Paradigm especially the new signature series and they feel the Focus Audio is over priced and old technology, they even suggest me for the price of Focus Audio ($3500cdn) I should get the Paradigm S4. For a different of $1300cdn, please share your point of view of these 2 products...