Speakers for Sansui AU-666

I'm currently on the lookout for a pair of speakers that would complement my vintage Sansui AU666 integrated, which i use in my bedroom system with a Dual 505-3/ OM20 and computer w/uDac as sources.

The room itself is approx 14' x 9.5', with the speakers on the long wall, at the foot of my bed. Carpeted.

I'm currently running Rega Aras on stands and, although good, I feel there would be a better speaker for this amp.

Bearing in mind the amp's amp's vintage, the room size, the limited space for speaker placement and the fact that the room is acoustically dead (primarily due to synthetic carpets, which i think suck the life out of speakers), does anyone have any idea of a solid speaker pairing?

In some ways, i was thinking about Klipsch Heresys, but there is a voice in the back of my head that says not to go that route.

Old Dynaco A10's or A25's, which can be had at very low cost, are other speakers I was thinking of as a potential.

JBL's come to mind as well..L100s or L110 (don't know if these are too big for the room, though)

Perhaps Yamaha NS series speakers...

ADS is yet another...not sure of which model, mind you. Perhaps the 570?

All of these speaker options are vintage, however, i'm not opposed to a new speaker that would work in my situation. To be honest, most modern speakers I've tried in my condo do not sound good due to room acoustics (which i cannot change). I'm starting to think that vintage speakers are the way to go.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.
loose

Showing 1 response by ths364

The kind of music you like may help you narrow the field a bit. I have a similar sized room and ADS L-710's are great in there. I think the 570 is a two-way speaker vs the 710 which has a mid.- Also Have the JBL-4311(the l-100 is the home version of the 4311-prettier packaging ); More dynamic impact than the ADS at equivalent power but at the expense of some of the ADS magic in the mids and highs. If you listen primarily to rock- the JBL's are hard to beat. Broad spectrum I'd lean toward the ADS- they're a little less forward and do a nicer job with acoustic instruments IMO. The Yamaha NS are good also- but I've had issues with tweeters in them... Heard very good things about the Dynaco's but have yet to hear them. I would use stands to get the speakers at or near ear level for your listening position.To be honest, I'm very pleasantly surprised that there are so many good inexpensive speakers on the market. I think the Heresy are likely to sit too low in a room with a bed...