Speakers for a large room for around $1000

I am moving soon into a new house where the main room is about 12x14ft with a vaulted ceiling up to the second floor (maybe about 15-20 ft high).

I am looking for 2-channel stereo speakers exclusively for music. I don't really play my music that loud, but I do like the music to really fill up the room. I'm not a huge audiophile (meaning I'm not going to spend a lot of time analyzing or obsessing over my speakers)--- all I'm looking for are some good solid speakers that have a good frequency response (and might sound good with a tube amplifier).

My budget is about $1000. I could stretch that up to maybe $1300, but I'd have to be convinced the extra is really worth it. I'd also really prefer to have new speakers, mostly for the warranty. Though again, I could be convinced otherwise if it's worth it.

I've considered speakers from a whole bunch of manufacturers, i.e, Paradigm to B&W, Axiom, DefTech, Klipsch, Polk, etc, but due to my geographical location I'm really not able to demo many, so I'm stuck trying to make this decision based on online reviews. It's tough for me to separate audio speakers from home-theater speakers just by reading reviews.

Any and all help is really appreciated!
blnd2spll

Showing 9 responses by dmastri

hi, i would absolutly look into a pair of used vandersteen 2ce. forget about klipsch, polk, b&w . the vandersteen will give you a much more satisfing sound and thay are built very well so do not worry about buying a used pair, they will last a very long time very well built.
hi.again with all do respect to this thread.i look at all these opinions and i am puzzled at some of these speaker recomendations. you can purchase used vandis 2ce sig 800 to 900 used and with tube amplification will sound great, they even sound good with average amplification.not that i am a vandi juckey,but why would anyone buy mirage or a klipsch ext. i understand speakers are personal taste, but come on klipsch and mirage with tubes, not for me.
if people get offended at opinions,maybe they should not be in threads,wow johneyb53 knows how to read from a speaker manual,If you listened to the question properly blnd2spll said he wanted 2 channel speakers does not really play music loud and wanted something that would sound good with tubes,and all i said was for what he is looking for the vandis would be a much beter speaker than the mirage being a former vandi owner and at the time had them paired with audio researth tubes it was a good sounding budget system. Mirage do not pear well with tubes not to say it is a bad speaker,but again for two channel and not playing loud music without question a vandersteen is the way to go over a mirage.i do not get into the mombo jumbo about specs,again listen to what the questio said thank you.
blnd2spll, if the vandis are not what the wife would like, try to find a used pair of proac studio 125, I have owned the 1sc, 1.5 where i live i had a proac dealer right down the street from where i live. so i have spent alot of time listening to proacs the studio 125 are realy nice and in my opinion mate very well with tubes,and goodlooking speaker as well. but i must say proacs do need good amplification to sound their best.just another suggestion,good luck
Rrog, being a former vandersteen owner, I would have to agree with you.My former vandis were hooked to a audio research vs55,sweet sound.
BLnd2spll,just a quick question,if you do not mind before you pull the trigger,what kind of music do you listen to mostly? and what is your tube gear?
Blnd2spll,There is one more speaker that you should really consider,it is cosmeticly beautiful,very well built and sound is excellent.mates very well with tubes very very room friendly,it is the vianna acoustic mozart. if you look on audiogon their is a pair of mozart for 1000.00 used retail is 2800.00 then another pair of mozart grands for 1300.00 used 3000.00 retail.I can asure you out of the vandersteen,mirage,and other speakers mentioned these viannas for the money will well outperform the speakers you are considering.and the wife will love the looks of them.because of the wife factor and what you are looking for, money wise,being you want a floorstander can not think of a better speaker.and you can give them a listen at your local best buy store.last i knew they carry vianna. please do not think i am trying to promote any for sale listings,it is just that i love this hobby and been into it for 22years,have owned over 20 pairs of speakers and travel to many audio shows.and have helped many friends put budget systems together.just something i love to do. good luck dave
me again,there is a store in my state called sterio discount center,this store sells paradigm,listened to them many times,but not the 7s.just keep in mind that with the viennas if in time to come,may it be 6months, 1year, 5 years, etc.you decide to upgrade you electronics.that speaker is only going to sound better and better with upgrades.where as the 7s are limited.i personally listen to jazz, and alot of female vocals,midrange is very important to me that is why i am a harbeth owner.but you have to go with what you like,and keep the wife happy as well, anyway good luck with what ever choice you make.