Speakers "Disappearing"

I have read a lot about speakers "disappearing" so that one can't tell from where the sound is emanating. But, what about all the stereo tunes where the recordiing engineer intentionally pans the music to come from one side or the other? Can the speakers be made to "disappear" in that situation? Or, is it just the nature of the particular recording?
rlb61
It is dependent on the recording. But first, for the music to disappear, you really have to take the pains to find the best spot for them. Then you have to use a tape measure and make sure that they are equi-distant from back and side walls. Try to get them within 1/8 of an inch precision when you measure from walls. It takes days sometimes. But you will be rewarded.
Even if the music is intentionally panned, on a properly recorded music, it would be "free from the speakers" and appear behind and to the side of the speaker. But there are a few not-as-nicely-recorded discs, where the instrument/music refuses to leave the speaker. So, it is completely dependent on the particular recording.
This can happen when you’ve got very good precise imaging and depth, in between and outside the speakers, and if the recording engineer has done it that way.
Play the imaging and depth tracks on this setup cd, it will tell you how your system fairs. Tracks 10 11 12

Chesky DJ37 sampler and setup test disc

Cheers George
@milpai ... thanks. That’s what I’ve suspected. I’ve done the whole measuring thing and have my speakers equidistant (front, back and sides) to within about 1/4". That’s about as good as it’s gonna get. The speakers do "disappear" for the most part, but there are those records where it’s just obvious as to the location of the music.
@rlb61 ,
You are welcome. It is fun when the loudspeakers disappear. I am like "a kid in a candy shop" when this happens.