Speakers and TT for NAD 3020 Micro-Budget System?

I am a complete stereo newbie and I was looking for some guidance on building my first micro-budget system. I recently picked up a NAD 3020 off CL for $40 in mint condition. I am looking to match speakers and a TT to this system. I have very little money but was looking for something that sounds musical and is tolerable - I'm not interested in a perfect sound experience, just to enjoy listening to records.

My budget is about $400 for the TT and Speakers. I could push it up to $500 if there is a real upgrade in performance. The room is a very small NYC basement apartment. Approx 10' x 10' with low ceilings. I primarily listen to rock with some jazz and no classical. This system will be used almost exclusively for listening to vinyl and that is the primary focus at this time.

I am very happy to purchase used. I know many of these threads conclude with "here are some good ones, you should listen to them" but this is simply not going to happen. There are no used hi-fi stores that I am aware of in my area and anything I buy will more than likely be shipped from far away. I would most like to hear something that you would personally be pleased with in this price range with these specifications.

For speakers there seems to be a consensus that Paradigm Atoms and Mordaunt-Short MS 10s are legends in this category. For TTs, I am thinking of a used Music Hall or Rega entry-level or a vintage Thorens (one of the less coveted older models like a 115) or Marantz that has been cleaned up.

Thanks in advance for reading this and for your help! This is a very intimidating new world and I appreciate all of your expert advice.
powersofi

Showing 1 response by t_bone

For the TT, I would suggest doing a bit of research on what might be good on a used basis, then buying a TT at Goodwill, or off ebay. I would recommend asking on the Vinyl board at AudioAsylum.com for a list of good models which can be found at garage sales/thrift stores/Goodwill/ebay for $150 or less and then trolling. The easiest solution would be to find an old Dual TT. They are decent, sturdy, and ubiquitous.

For the speakers I will let someone else recommend.