Speakers: $3,000-$4,000 on Audiogon

I am moving to a larger listening room (21 x 14) and am looking into new speakers - to pressurize the room, as I tell my wife ;). My current speakers, B&W CDM 9NT, have always sounded to bright in my previous listening room and are currently not at the same level as the rest of my system (click on the system link to see the components and cabling). Cardas cables and a McIntosh have somewhat tamed to extra energy in treble region.
I am looking for a well rounded speaker that excels in all the important areas (dynamics, frequency extension, detail, musicality). If I had a preference, I would lean towards a warmer/less analytical sound but not to the point of sacrificing detail.

Some speakers which I've had my eye on off the top of my head:
Dynaudio Contour S 3.4
Magenpan 3.6
Von Schweikert VR-4jr
Focal JM-Lab 946 Electra

Open to other suggestions,

Thanks in advance
AdamG
adamg

Showing 3 responses by adamg

Thanks Jgiacalo.

I need to apologize for posting this thread in the amps/pre-amps forum rather than the speakers forum.
Thanks for all the replies thus far. I included the Magnepans to add some diversity to my list but its very unlikely that I will go down that route due to the difficulty with placement and the risk of purchasing a type of speaker that I'm completely unfamiliar with. The Theils are something I haven't considered at this point. My one concern is that they tend to be difficult to drive. Although the MC402 is very powerful amp, it doesn't sound quite as powerful as its rating would suggest nor does it double its power into difficult loads. Thiel is also described as having an analytical character according to what I've read. Based on my personal research and what has been discussed so far, Von Schweikert, Focal and Dynaudio continue to be the most appealing speakers based on my preferences. The front runner at this point is Dynaudio with the Esotec tweeter. Having only experienced older B&Ws with their 'hot' aluminum dome tweeters, it would be nice to hear a speaker with a world class tweeter.
I know that many will criticize the use of a web forum as a means to determine which speakers to purchase. However, auditioning a wide range of speakers at home is not a realistic possibility. I used these forums and press reviews to narrow down my choices for power amps for auditioning (X250.5, MC402) and was extremely pleased with the results. I will not be taking the plunge on the speakers within the next month so please keep the suggestions and comments coming.
Thanks again for the helpful replies. Based partly on the information from this thread, I'm going to have a pair of Dyns this weekend.

I was intending on waiting until December to purchase the new speakers but I decided to click on the "Wanted To Buy" link here on Agon. There was somebody who wanted to purchase a pair of CDM 9NTs in a red cherry finish - and the buyer lived in the same city! :0. We all know that buying and selling used audio equipment can at times be a minor hassle, but when it comes to speakers, it can be much more than that due to the weight and cost of shipping etc. Coincidently, there is also a local seller offering a pair of the Dynaudio Contour S3.4's. It isn't the maple finish I would prefer but the opportunity to buy and sell large floorstanding speakers locally cannot be turned down. Given the size of my room, a small part of me believes that the S5.4's would fill out my room to a greater extent that the 3.4's. However, I'm sure the 3.4s will be superior to B&Ws in every conceivable way.