Speaker wire size VS speaker size. Should bigger speakers use bigger wires?

After 16 years using Monster 2.4s speaker wire (fairly large gauge as it looks like #10 or maybe even #8) I thought I'd try Dueland 16 gauge copper, tin plated, oiled & cotton wrapped. They have been in my system for a few months now.  While the music is very detailed and great sound stage, I feel the bass may be a bit weaker.
I know the "Monster" word is not favored on A/Gon, but it always sounded very very good.  Before I kick out the $ for the new Dueland 12 gauge, I was curious as to the wire size and effect on sound.  I see some folks run up to 22 gauge which to me is silly puny.  My wire length is 8"
Amp Krell FPB300cx, speakers Infinity Renaissance 90.  The speakers are 4-way semi-planer with a nice 10" woofer that goes down to 27hz which aint bad.
Thanks for your input, John
jsd52756

Showing 2 responses by jsd52756

Interesting stuff above.  It just seemed to me bookshelf size speakers could use smaller gauge whereas if I had Wilson Alexandra hunkin-momma size speakers they would need a lot of juice.  I may try the low side of the Monster cables on the woofers and see if I notice a difference.  Or even a difference I like. 
The whole thing came about as just a test/trial of the Dueland wire.  Every once in a while messing with things is kind of fun. 
-John
My Infinity speakers can drop below the 4-ohm range from what I read quite a few years ago.  I guess their really large Kappa 9.1 series 2 dip way below, maybe even to the 2-ohm range.  The Infinities make an amplifier work that is for sure.  I cooked a Yamaha MX-1 and a Krell KSA 200s with them.  The 300cx makes them sing. 
-John