Speaker upgrade itch Opinions 2500$used

Hello all and happy new year!!!

Like you all I have the upgrade itch and have decided that the speakers are what I want to change out next.

1. My goal is the most holographic soundstage and best imaging I can afford at this price range
2. I have no preference between bookshelf and tower speakers
3. I have no bass requirements as I currently live in an apartment and wouldn't want the bass to annoy the neighbors anyway!
4. Resale value is important, so very rare brands are out
5. My next speaker upgrade probably wont be for 2-5 years
6. Appearence isn't important, although I'd like to keep a reasonable footprint for the speakers
7. This is for a 2 channel only system

Currently the only speakers on my list to audition are Audio Physics Virgo IIs so all other suggestions are appreciated!

Some info about my tastes:

My current system:
Tyler Reference Monitors
Rogue Audio Magnum 66/88 (pre/amp)
CAL CL15 (cdp)
Transparent Audio MusicLink Plus Interconnects
PS Labs Lab2 powercord on cdp
Harmonic Tech ProAC-11 powercord on amp
(no special room treatments)

Current room is 14x18, but will be moving again in 7 months, so who knows what next (so not shopping for room specific speakers!)

The cd's I've been playing a lot of lately:
Cyndi Lauper - At Last
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions
Paul Simon - Graceland
Peter, Paul & Mary - 1st LP
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Steely Dan - 2 Against Nature
Laureena McKennit - The Visit
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac and Rumors
geoffgarcia

Showing 1 response by omains

Hi there,

I don't have a specific speaker suggestion for you, but let me tell you a bit about my speaker hunt this summer. My main criterion for a speaker is wonderful transparency, with great imaging and a large soundstage. I also like speakers with a very intimate and involving sound. I don't give a hoot about deep bass response.

I decided very quickly that monitors were the way to go. I don't think there's any floorstander on the market that can dissapear and soundstage more effectively than a pair of great monitors.

The speakers I chose were Silverline SR-15 monitors, and I love them. They're less than $1000 used, generally. If your budget is higher, than look elsewhere. But really, I think monitors are the way to go!

Just to throw out a couple of things you might want to look at: the JM Lab micro Bes are great, as are the Talon Hawks. And ask Warrenh about the Harmonic Precision Caravelles (though I haven't heard them)!

Good luck.