Speaker upgrade itch Opinions 2500$used

Hello all and happy new year!!!

Like you all I have the upgrade itch and have decided that the speakers are what I want to change out next.

1. My goal is the most holographic soundstage and best imaging I can afford at this price range
2. I have no preference between bookshelf and tower speakers
3. I have no bass requirements as I currently live in an apartment and wouldn't want the bass to annoy the neighbors anyway!
4. Resale value is important, so very rare brands are out
5. My next speaker upgrade probably wont be for 2-5 years
6. Appearence isn't important, although I'd like to keep a reasonable footprint for the speakers
7. This is for a 2 channel only system

Currently the only speakers on my list to audition are Audio Physics Virgo IIs so all other suggestions are appreciated!

Some info about my tastes:

My current system:
Tyler Reference Monitors
Rogue Audio Magnum 66/88 (pre/amp)
CAL CL15 (cdp)
Transparent Audio MusicLink Plus Interconnects
PS Labs Lab2 powercord on cdp
Harmonic Tech ProAC-11 powercord on amp
(no special room treatments)

Current room is 14x18, but will be moving again in 7 months, so who knows what next (so not shopping for room specific speakers!)

The cd's I've been playing a lot of lately:
Cyndi Lauper - At Last
Patricia Barber - Cafe Blue
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions
Paul Simon - Graceland
Peter, Paul & Mary - 1st LP
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Steely Dan - 2 Against Nature
Laureena McKennit - The Visit
Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac and Rumors
geoffgarcia

Showing 4 responses by distortion

Mburns is right, the MLs sound great. Very 3D. Precise imaging. But like all electrostats, you better give them a listen. They arent everyones cup of tea. Also, they can dominate a room, although not deep they are tall and wide.

Using your previous generalized posts stating how bad B & W speakers are, I am left wondering if you dont like the popularity of brands or if the B & W "house sound" is to blame. If it is the latter, a few brands come to mind.

Sonus Faber make excellent sounding speakers, with a lot of the attributes you listed.

I heard some Silverline Sonatina's not long ago that were very warm sounding, but it could have been the electronics (tubes). I dont have a lot of experience with that particular model. I loved the Bolero's, but they have a neutral and precise sound, with a seemingly unlimited upper ocatve. I really like the Dynaudio Esotar tweeter, which the Bolero's use (I really like Dynaudios).

To name a couple more....Spendor and Von Schweikert come to mind.

What do you want to improve upon from your Tylers?
Geoff, I see. All of the recommendations I previously posted are all fine speakers no doubt. But they are all somewhat on the warm side, based loosely on my misinterpretation of your desired sonic characteristics.

I would add. Dont be so fast to discredit the MLs. They are hybrid in design, using a dynamic driver for lower octave reinforcement. I have heard several of them and they are very impressive for music. I say "for music" because I prefer the dynamics cone drivers provide, when it comes to HT applications (especially if you like high volume).

I have been looking to upgrade speakers and amp for some time now. At this time, I cant justify the expenditure for what I like/want, at least in speakers anyway.

My current favorite is a Dynaudio's S5.4, for lack of a better word, awesome. Does everything right by my ears (which are, of course, unique). They are pricey and I havent fully explored the less expensive models but, I would figure that they are capable in their respective price range as well. If you can give some a listen. Second is Silverline's Bolero and third is B & W's N802. I havent heard PMC's OB1, I seriously want to hear these. I have heard a few people rave about PMC's little DB1s.

Anywho, as you can see I prefer speakers with more upper octave information. FWIW, even though I havent heard the Tylers, I have read much about them, all of it good. I guess to sum up, a lot of choice is available to you at that price range. One good thing about A'gon is that if you buy used and dont like them you can probably sell them for close to what you have in them. I hope I have been some help.
Well Geoff, I cant say. I have never heard a single piece of CAL equipment nor have I heard your model of preamp (66), or you speakers for that matter. I have nothing worthwhile to add/detract from S23Chang's opinion. Which I presume is based on the consensus that Tyler's are good performers

I can only offer tertiary opinions. Such as, I have read many good things about the Tylers. But, pointing out the obvious isnt going to help much.

I can add my opinion on another matter. Others, I am sure, will disagree. In my personal preference, I typically find that system's which have an extended high frequency spectrum throw a more 3 dimensional soundfield (holographic). However, there is a downside. Too much high frequency info can be tiresome and some recordings have just that. Again, that is just my personal preference and opinion and clearly audio isnt a "one size fits all" hobby.

I dont want to get off subject, but instead of dropping a wad on speakers right now, you might try cable tweaking. Maybe a copper-silver hybrid. Pure Note Epsilons? You could even start a thread asking what cables give great imaging and a deep 3D soundfield. You can probably buy used and resell with little loss if they dont work out.

The reason I say this, is.....The Rogue's are not bright. The Tyler's are not bright(what I have read) and the Transparent's arent either. It could be cumulative. You may, stress on may, be needing a little "sparkle" to bring out that 3D effect your looking for. And changing a cable or two is a whole lot easier than the others.

Just an idea.
Fathom, its a tough balancing act for "cool" camp guys like me. I am looking to try some warm tubes in my CDP, so you never know I might be converted yet =).

Geoff, you sound alot like me, always being torn this way and that way about upgrades. Suffice it to say that, if I win the lottery, AudioGon is gonna' have a banner sales day.

Amp, speakers, amp, cable, speakers, awe crap, I think I'll just buy a nice opposite flow Wort chiller and forget about it.