Speaker to mount in a bookcase - up to $2000 (somewhat long)

Hi all,

I recently had a bookcase built and have dusted off my old stereo components after years of listening to MP3s and CDs through my computer. My existing system is:

Technics SL-D2 direct-drive turntable with Grado cartridge (model unknown - from the 90s)
Sony CD player (multi-disc, probably from the 90s)
Philips 80-w receiver from the 90s
Cambridge Audio Ensemble satellites and subwoofers

I am going to bring down from the attic several boxes of Jazz and Classical LPs in good condition, as well as several cartons of CDs. I look forward to listening to albums again as an event.

I want to build a hi-fi system but am not yet sure whether to go with pre-amp / amp, or integrated amp. I have a lot of research to do first, as well as listening to options at my local hi-fi place in Richmond VA.

Since I am not yet decided on amp / pre-amp / tuner / etc, I want to start by getting a good pair of speakers that will work with something like Music-Hall 15.3 integrated amp, or work just as well with a discrete tube pre-amp / amp setup. I am willing to spend around $2000 on speakers.

But here’s the condition (and the point of the posting): I need to be able to put the speakers in the bookshelves,not on a stand. The room is 13.5’ deep by 14’ wide, and there is a sofa with an end table at each end. Stand-mounted or floor-standing speakers will not work due to space constraints. Here are some pics of the room and the bookcases:

http://m5.i.pbase.com/g10/17/1059017/2/165235515.vAnwjevp.jpg

http://m8.i.pbase.com/g10/17/1059017/2/165235518.4oErsAVa.jpg

http://m4.i.pbase.com/g10/17/1059017/2/165235524.Dc9sXuP0.jpg

With all that in mind, can you guys come up with some speaker suggestions for me? I was told that front-ported speakers would be required for this application but I have also read some forum comments that this is a not a universal truth.

Again, this is step one in building a system. As the months (and maybe a year or two) go by I will replace the receiver with either an integrated amp like a Rogue Sphinx or Cronus Magnum, or maybe even go with separate pre-amp / amp. The speaker will be the first step. Also will follow with turntable and CD player upgrades as well.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,

Eric

ezwicky

Showing 1 response by mesch

I am not one to recommend a specific speaker as that choice is most subjective and dependent on environment and system. In your case the environment becomes a much more defining factor regrading speaker performance than for many situations.  One thought that comes to mind is that you may not need to spend $2000 given the bookshelf constraint. I would also be inclined toward an integrated amplifier. I do like the Rouge Cronus, however there are several that could be recommended.

You might want to research local and online dealers and define your situation and ask for recommendations for speakers in the $1000-$2000 range that you could trial at home.