Speaker suggestions - Pass XA30.5 $3500

Hi all, I've been with Thiel for about 10 years and think I'm ready to try something new. I've got a Pass INT-30A, listen only to digital sources (PS Audio PWDII), and want speakers that image well and can periodically support a loud dance session. Looking at speakers that go for around $3500 used.

I listen to a wide range of music (e.g., Electronic, Pop, Rock, Jazz, and female vocalists) and am open to a variety of speaker designs.

Also, the Pass is probably more powerful than you think. Stereophile measured it as clipping at 135W @ 8 ohms and 295W @ 4 ohms. I preferred it pretty soundly to the X-250.5 on my Thiel 2.4s.

I have a medium sized living room that takes up the entire width of the house when you come in the front door. It's 15' x 21' with 8' ceilings (on a slab) and the stereo (attached to a TV) is on one half of the long wall. The room's a bit unbalanced in that way, but unfortunately that's the only setup option.

Thanks for your suggestions.

- Chris
128x128cal3713

Showing 5 responses by cal3713

Oilmanmojo: I see that there are various AP's up on Agon, some of which are MKI and others are MKII, and the current line is 25. I realize they make a lot of different speakers, any elaborations on the general differences across generations?
Also, any opinions on Coincident speakers? There's a pair of Super Eclipse III's in the price range. I've read both good and bad (and aware that the Pass is overkill for their level of efficiency)...
Brauser: Do Dunlavys happen to use "generic" drivers? I'm a little concerned about purchases from defunct companies since there's no way to return the speaker to stock if the a driver fails.