Speaker suggestions for a McIntosh MC225

Hi all,

I have an MC225 sitting here that I would like to use in a second system. I don't know where the system will end up, so I can't give any room dimensions. I'm not sure if I want to design the system for a particular type of music or design the system and play whatever type of music plays best on it (I like enough types of music to be happy doing this). It's a second system, so if it doesn't do it all it's OK. This is supposed to be partially a learning experience and partially an excuse to use the amp.

I just can't keep this thing around and not give it a pair of speakers that will let it sing. I've read a lot about this little amp and some consider it one of the best sounding amplifiers ever made (crazy statement, I know). The speakers should be revealing, fairly efficient, and cover a good portion of the frequency spectrum. I have heard, for instance, Quad ESL 57s with small tube amps and was not too impressed with the low end (I bring this up because I know that they're a perennial favorite with the MC225). Let me know what you've used with the MC225 or what you think would be the perfect match for a satisfying system for any type of music. I would love to hear your opinions.

Here are it's specs:
• 25w/ch stereo (actually 35w/ch), 50w mono.
• Frequency Response 18-30 kHz (+0 -0.1dB).
• Distortion 0.5%.
• Noise & hum -90dB.
• Output impedance 4, 8, 16, 150, 200 and 600 ohms. 600 ohm balanced to ground and center tapped. (2, 4, 8 and 16 ohms in mono).
• Output voltages 25 and 70.7V.
• Internal impedance less than 10% of rated impedance.
• Input impedance 250k.
• Input sensitivity 0.5V (2.0V with gain controls at dot indicator).
ketchup

Showing 1 response by groundhog

I have my Klipsch La Scalas behind the mac 225 with fantastic results.If you have the space these are the way to go.The Mac runs these efortless,like a cake walk.
Good luck,
G.H.