Speaker suggestions for a McIntosh MC225

Hi all,

I have an MC225 sitting here that I would like to use in a second system. I don't know where the system will end up, so I can't give any room dimensions. I'm not sure if I want to design the system for a particular type of music or design the system and play whatever type of music plays best on it (I like enough types of music to be happy doing this). It's a second system, so if it doesn't do it all it's OK. This is supposed to be partially a learning experience and partially an excuse to use the amp.

I just can't keep this thing around and not give it a pair of speakers that will let it sing. I've read a lot about this little amp and some consider it one of the best sounding amplifiers ever made (crazy statement, I know). The speakers should be revealing, fairly efficient, and cover a good portion of the frequency spectrum. I have heard, for instance, Quad ESL 57s with small tube amps and was not too impressed with the low end (I bring this up because I know that they're a perennial favorite with the MC225). Let me know what you've used with the MC225 or what you think would be the perfect match for a satisfying system for any type of music. I would love to hear your opinions.

Here are it's specs:
• 25w/ch stereo (actually 35w/ch), 50w mono.
• Frequency Response 18-30 kHz (+0 -0.1dB).
• Distortion 0.5%.
• Noise & hum -90dB.
• Output impedance 4, 8, 16, 150, 200 and 600 ohms. 600 ohm balanced to ground and center tapped. (2, 4, 8 and 16 ohms in mono).
• Output voltages 25 and 70.7V.
• Internal impedance less than 10% of rated impedance.
• Input impedance 250k.
• Input sensitivity 0.5V (2.0V with gain controls at dot indicator).
ketchup

Showing 1 response by audiokinesis

Seems to me that pretty much any medium to high efficiency, tube-friendly speaker will work well with that amp. Do you have a ballpark price range in mind?

The Quad 57 certainly isn't known for its bottom end. To get more bass, I used to take the feet off of mine and set its butt down on the floor, and then slump in my chair or sit on the floor to listen. With both me and the Quads on or near the floor, and no dipole cancellation underneath the Quads, the bottom end warmed up considerably.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer