Speaker sensitivity, impedance, and calculating amp power

This is an elementary question, but I'm not quite understanding how to match amp power to speakers. When I searched around on this forum, I found many discussions which went deep into the weeds. I am hoping for a way of calculating the level of amplifier power I need for speakers with different sensitivities and impedances.

If you have the patience, here's the basic question. So, I've learned that one must consider a number of factors to calculate the amount of amplifier power to drive the speaker:

Sensitivity of the loudspeaker
Loss of db at the listening position
SPL desired at listening position
Amount of headroom desired

Most discussion of the demands a speaker will make on an amp focus on the speaker sensitivity. But the speakers I'm considering vary also in their impedance. How would I use both of those factors to estimate necessary amplifier power to drive them with a comfortable amount of headroom?

128x128hilde45

Showing 4 responses by tomic601

Impedence and phase angle, there is always that nasty and...

I always liked the late great Roger Modjeski advice on the subject ( which you find w search this site ), measure SPL and use a DMM at speaker terminals.

OP there was nothing wrong with your post, as you can see there are some awesome contributors this site
Question 3 is about duty cycle....

is that “ word salad “ enough ?

its easy but math and science based...
The 2nd question, so you can get started on it is: what is the spectral density of the music you listen to ?

fewer still own and pay attention to a RTA ( real time analyzer )

a current “ client “ of mine ( pro bono ) is using three tracks to evaluate potential systems and size his speaker/amplifier...

the difference in spectral density is off the charts different and proof he does not need a subwoofer... just well engineered full range speakers.. 
It’s not always about educating or helping the OP, as many will read this thread but fewer actually contribute in a positive way other than to ascribe a narrow view , perhaps just personal bias.

we in the business of helping studios, bands, mastering engineers, recording artists and audiophiles start with a discussion of target SPL. Most people, including on this venerable free admission site don’t actually own an accurate SPL meter or have any idea how loud a trumpet is from
say 30’ ?

so OP, let’s start there, how loud ?