Speaker selector that won't degrade sound

Is there such a thing?

Seems like many of them have relays or protection devices in them that will affect sound quality.  Could I make one?  

The reason for one is that my system is now a hybrid, my 2 channel setup and HT setup use the same front speakers.  Have an Onkyo AVR with no pre-outs and a Schiit Freya+ as my 2 channel preamp, so no way of doing a HT bypass so I want to use a speaker selector and have both feed into the selector.  Right now I literally swap the speaker cables at the back of the speaker.

blkwrxwgn

Theoretically, all switches will degrade sound quality, only you can determine if you can hear the difference in your system.

My suggestion is try one and find out

Specialty AV SP71

Most transformer coupled tube amp need a load connected to its output when it is on, so some sort of protection is needed to prevent accident.

imhififan

1,679 posts

Theoretically, all switches will degrade sound quality, only you can determine if you can hear the difference in your system.

My suggestion is try one and find out

Specialty AV SP71

@imhififan that's actually the switch I have, I'll give it a shot.  What's is depressing is that I have all this expensive speaker cable and then I'm going thru THAT!  Kind of a waste I think.

@tump350 I gave up on the old school way of having outdoor speakers being part of my main setup.  Nowadays for outdoor music I'm using my phone to select and control music, so I went with outdoor Bluetooth speakers.

Much easier.

The sound quality solution is to ditch the AVR and use stereo. There is no such thing as an AVR that does not wreck sound quality. Even with bypass. Just don't.

The AVR is for home theater use only.  I use my 2 channel setup speakers as the HT fronts also.

My 2 channel setup is the Freya+ and a Cherry amp.