speaker's for a 6 year old JVC D500

Hello,

I'd like to improve the sound of my TV and would like to know wether I can just plug in to the audio connections in the back a pair of appropriate speakers for the job or do I also need a receiver ? If I need a receiver I guess I'll get an old cheap one that works, right? What speaker's I can find used, are recommended ? ( worm sound ) .

Thank you
AB
alexthe
I think you have 2 choices: 1-buy what mglik is suggesting. or, 2-get a quality receiver and speakers that you can grow in to.
I am a dealer. One of my favorites is the Audio Engine A5. $349 powered speaker pair that sound every bit as good for movies on TV as any movie theater. With the matching $399 sub the dynamics make an excellent 2.1 home theater system.

Michael 831-423-5523
www.luckymanmediagroup.com
I'm wondering if anyone has tried hooking up a good table or portable radio instead of a receiver . It sounds like a used pair of powered ? speakers sound attractive witch one sounds best ? I guess a receiver would allow me to use any speakers I won't ( Spica 50's ) ?

Alex B , Thanks
Here's a great one-box solution. Amp and speakers in one box. One wire from your TV, one power cord from the speaker to the plug.

www.zvoxaudio.com

Several models to choose from. I like the 315 for its combination of value and performance,
An old cheap receiver will very possibly sound old and cheap. Now an old vintage piece like Sansui or Marantz will work with a decently little pair of speakers. However, where will you put the beast?

You can get little Klipsch promedia or Cambridge speakers that are tiny and powered. One with a subwoofer will help tremendously. Keep in mind that most $50 computer speakers won't sound any better with your tv.

Once you've gotten into several hundred for sound, you are simply better off buying a new TV for starters. Donate the old one to charity???

Final note: Whatever you try, it will sound much better if you can turn off/mute the tv speakers while listening to the better ones.