Speaker recommendations in the $3,500-$4,000 range

I'm in the market for a good, full-range speaker for simple stereo listening. I have an Anthem TLP-1 preamp, and will probably get an anthem amp to drive the speakers as well. I'd like full-range speakers (where no sub is needed)...and my budget will be between $3,500-$4,000.

I just finished mastering a CD at MasterMix in Nashville, so I've spent 12 hours in front of the finest PMC monitor system in the US...so that is point of reference. Thanks for any input!!!
clay49

Showing 5 responses by clay49

Okay...I'm officially overwhelmed!!! I've spent sometime on the web looking at the sites for these wonderful speakers you guys have suggested.

Looks like a book-shelf-type, near-field monitor with decent bass is going to be best for my situation (as you all have commented given my set-up).

Does anyone have any experience with the Paradigm Signature series? In particular the S4? I like the looks and the specs on paper aren't bad (91 dB Sensitivity, Low frequency extension is 36 Hz (DIN)...what is that and what does it mean??? can it really hit 36Hz??

I'd love to hear from any Paradigm fans who may have heard these....thanks!
Any thoughts on Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE as opposed to the newer 1.4s? I see some Contour 1.3SEs available and was wondering if anyone has compared the two....
Duke,

Thanks for your response and for the questionaire!!! Here are my responses:

Listening habits: All kinds of music from classical (orchestra + choral) to jazz (David Benoit) to classic Rock (38 Special, Foreigner, Elton John, etc).

I listen at moderate to low levels, never really crank it up loud.

What makes the magic?...good imaging, solid, tight bass, clarity of each instrument and the placement in the recorded field...like I'm there in the studio.

I do sit in the sweet spot...these speakers will be in my office about 5 feet apart, on either side of a 6 foot bookshelf. They are approximately 6-7 feet in front of me, pointed at my desk. My desk sits at one end of the room that is 18x20...concrete block walls (painted), commercial carpet, ceiling in office is 14 ft (with ceiling tiles (porous). So basically, my effective listening area is about 10 ft x 11 ft....the rest of the room (to the right, is a sitting area with an oriental rug, high-back chair (upholstered) a love seat (upholstered) two chairs and end table.

Speaker appearance...my desk is mahogany or dark cherry, as is the book shelf... it would be nice to be in that vein.

Hope that gives you an idea of what I might need to check into...thanks!

Clay
Aktchi,

I don't need earth-shattering bass...just decent clarity and fullness of reasonably low notes that you would hear on say Schubert's "Unfinished Symphony", movement 1. Since this is just for pure stereo music reproduction, I don't need super-sub bass (like you would for your home theatre...to feel explosions and the "Death Star" moving through space (Star Wars))....I'll give Salk and Tyler a call...thanks!
Guys...thanks for your input...I am overwhelmed at the number of responses. Thanks for putting up with a "noobie"...I've searched the classifieds now for about a year, but never posted a thread.

Now the hard part is going to be finding demos of some of these to hear. Birmingham, AL is not known for it's high-end audio dealers. The ones we have sell Legacy on the top end, PSB and Polk on the low end. Tweeter (chain) is pushing Focal 918s and 928s for $4,000. The one dealer who carries Paradigm only carries the low end (Monitor series). So now the challenge of find something near me that I can demo.

Keep 'em coming (if you have any more suggestions)...my list of prospects stands at about 18 at the moment....

Clay