Speaker recommendations in the $3,500-$4,000 range

I'm in the market for a good, full-range speaker for simple stereo listening. I have an Anthem TLP-1 preamp, and will probably get an anthem amp to drive the speakers as well. I'd like full-range speakers (where no sub is needed)...and my budget will be between $3,500-$4,000.

I just finished mastering a CD at MasterMix in Nashville, so I've spent 12 hours in front of the finest PMC monitor system in the US...so that is point of reference. Thanks for any input!!!
clay49

Showing 4 responses by aktchi

Many people suggest the one make or model they like, but I would watch this thread with interest to see if there is any consensus among those who have heard many contenders. I cannot make specific recommendations because I have not engaged in comparative listening for many years, but just trying to be helpful, I can see two directions for you.

(1) The first is to go with British brands such as ATC, Harbeth, Proac, Spendor.

(2) The second would be highly regarded newcomers like Salk, Silverline, Tyler, Zu.

The best sound for the money is often a used model, but some of these makes are so thinly distributed that the used market is practically non-existent.

It would help to know your listning tastes, room, what speakers you have now, etc.
Chazzbo: Great review, but didn't you ever run into the concept of a paragraph break? :-)

Clay: Now I have a better idea. Speakers will be 5' apart and about 7' in front of you. That rules out many big panel models. How important is bass extention? Will 45 hz do? Or does it have to be 20's? I'll watch the thread and participate as I can.

One thing I'd say though, you could do a lot worse than contacting Salk as well Tyler and discussing your needs with them.
Chazzbo: No need to apologize, my comment about your writing style was meant as a friendly joke. It is a little difficult to read but well worth the trouble. I appreciated the review and look forward to reading your opinions in future as well.

Just to get you going again, of all the speakers you have heard, which one(s) will be your absolute pick(s) for:

near listening (speakers and listeners all 6'-7' apart);
volumes low as well as high;
long term listening (non-fatiguing);
listener not pinned to one sweet spot;
not overly sensitive to amp (I have 60w/ch ss)

I know and even agree with the platitude that everyone has to select his speakers himself; I am asking what would you select?
Clay: Forget the dealers and look to the audiophile community. We love one another's company, show off our gear, exchange opinions. See if there is a club in area. If not, start one. :) Otherwise, just spread the word, through A'gon and other such forums, requesting people to let you hear their speakers. Once you get yours, offer similar hospitality to others. That's the way! Good luck, keep posting your experience as you progress.