Speaker Recommendations for my Vintage Marantz 2270 and Miracord 50H MK II

I just purchased a Marantz 2270 that was refurbished.  Wondering what speakers you think might go well with the system.  40 years ago I had this turntable matched with a Pioneer SX838 and Avid 103 speakers.  Looking for a full range floor standing speaker with a small footprint say approx. 12-13" wide.  Price range under $2,000.  Thanks for your comments. Bob
rkbcpa55

Showing 1 response by willland

" Yes, I seen this too.  But the fact that this receiver puts out the same amount of power into 4 ohms as it does 8 ohms tells me it has a very limited power supply.  A 4 ohm speaker could suck the life out of this receiver in a hurry."

NAD has been using that design philosophy for few decades. 

" Most modern amps can almost double their wattage into 4 ohms as opposed to their rating into 8."

As many know on this forum and elsewhere, "some" of these amps have "skewed"(conservative) 8ohm specs to appear that they double down into 4ohms.  They are beefy indeed and can drive most speakers with ease but don't truly double down when a controlled and accurate bench test is performed.

" If it was me, I wouldn't trust a vintage receiver with a true 4 ohm speaker." 

Now with that said, a 40 year old receiver may not be the "best" choice for true 4ohm speakers.

Bill