speaker recommendations for a 12 x 12 room?

Hi,

I'm trying to convert a spare bedroom into a 2 channel listening room. Unfortunately, the room is 12 x 12, with 10 foot ceilings. Pulling the speakers well out into the room isn't really an option.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Ag insider logo xs@2xazkeith
Small room setups can be great.

What is your speaker budget?
Do you have the electronic components?
The electronics will be the BAT integrated amplifier and BAT CD player. The speaker budget will be approximately 8k, after the first of the year.

I like to listen to classic rock, blues and some jazz.

Thanks for your recommendations!
Forgot to add that my preference is used speakers. It seems like the initial depreciation on this stuff is very high.
One problem of small rooms - especially small, square rooms - is the resulting large peaks and dips in the bass region due to speaker/room interaction.

If you can place the speakers with some assymmetry in the horizontal plane, relative to the room walls, that would probably be somewhat beneficial in the bass region. For example, instead of having your speaker-listener-speaker triangle nice and symmetrical within your 12-by-12 square, try rotating it either clockwise or counter-clockwise (as seen from above) by about 20 degrees. This will make the distances of each woofer to its nearby room boundaries different in both the lengthwise and widthwise dimensions. The purpose of this is to stagger each woofer's room-interaction peak-and-dip patterns in the bass region as much as is practical, as the resulting average (which is what your ears hear in the bass region) will be smoother.

The other problem presented by a small room is the relatively early onset of reflections. In general, reflections arriving earlier than 10 milliseconds after the first-arrival sound (corresponding to a path length difference of about 11 feet) are likely to be detrimental. Ten milliseconds isn't a hard cut-off threshold; it's more like the center of a fuzzy transition zone. Anyway, in my opinion fairly directional speakers may be your best bet in speaker type for this application, or at least speakers with a fairly smooth power response. Ideally, the speakers could be aimed such that the early sidewall reflection is off the opposite wall instead of the wall near the speaker (I can go into some detail about this if you'd like). Such directionality calls for large drivers, which means mini-monitors won't be ideal in this respect. In the interest of minimizing the audible effects of early reflections you might want to place diffusion or absorption in the early reflection zones, but in my opinion don't overdo the absorption or you'll end up with a lifeless-sounding room.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer
I have a room slightly smaller than yours, and have run through many speakers, and I can confirm that the big challenge is (in Duke's words) "large peaks and dips in the bass region due to speaker/room interaction." In the end, I found that sealed-box speakers work better than ported speakers. Ports, whether on the front or back of the speaker (but especially on the back), tend to excite bass resonances that muddy the sound. Your budget is in a realm that I haven't explored (kids in college, you know), but one speaker I've owned that you might consider is the Harbeth HL-P3ES-2. It's a small sealed box monitor. I used the Harbeths with a REL sub, dialed way down so as not to overwhelm the small room, but still adding a nice sense of weight and ambiance.