speaker recommendation 2500 or less small room

I am new to the high end audio world and need some advice. I am a law student so money is a big issue and more than likely I will be buying used. Currently I have a set of Infinity IL60s that have blown the amps several times and I am tired of dealing with Infinity. I would like something that is well put together. I normally don't listen to my music loud. I am set up in a small room with only about 8' to the speakers so I need something that will not be picky about placement as they will be close to the back wall as well. This is also the room where I study so a speaker that has a spacious sound would be a big plus, I don't normally stay in the "sweet spot" to terribly long. I like the sound of the B&W CM7. I mention this to indicate what kind of sound I am looking for. Basically if there is anything that anyone can recommend that meets this list of hopeful options I will be very grateful. There is not really not a big selection to listen to around here so if anyone could suggest something that is for sale on this forum that would be seriously awesome. Sorry for the long post, but I have spent a great deal of time reading reviews and opinions and feel more lost now than I did a few months ago.

My current set up

Harman Kardon AVR 325 for the pre amp
McIntosh MC 300
Sony ES cd player
gsxr750ccs

Showing 2 responses by johnnyb53

You must look at the Mirage Omnisat v2 FS (floorstander) at $1K plus perhaps the Prestige S8 sub to flesh out the bottom octave. I've lived with the first-gen Omnisat satellites for 3-1/2 years, and they make the entire listening space a sweet spot. You still get decent imaging and soundstage depth if you have to put them against the wall. I know, because sometimes I wall-mounted my satellites and they still sounded room-filling and engaging without suckouts or hot spots.

Although the FS model is floorstanding, they occupy less space than most minimonitors on stands. They're 40" tall, but only 5.5"w x 5.9"d. It has an 8"x8", rather thick glass bottom plate with feet or cones to provide a wider, more stable platform. The enclosure is made of thick extruded aluminum, and is as free of boxy resonance as a panel speaker. It's sensitivity rating is 93dB at 1w input, yet can handle up to 175w, so it doesn't take much to drive it and it can play loud. The omnidirectional pattern energizes the entire room, imparting the feel of live music, and makes the entire room the sweet spot just as you get with a live performance. Even if you're sitting to the left of the left speaker, you will still hear the entire L-R stereo image.

The FS extends down to 55 Hz. If you want that last octave, add their very compact Prestige S8, which is about a 1' cube and goes down to the mid-20s.

One more thing: Even though they're $1K/pair, the Omnisat v2 FS is competitive with your max budget; these things do great image presentation spiced by excellent clarity, inner detail, pacing, and air.
Energy Veritas kicks butt! Linear, fast, wide dispersion, musically involving, devoid of boxy resonances. I agree. One of the Veritas floorstanders got pretty high up on S'phile's Recommended list, but they all should have been there.