Speaker recommendation $10-20K (with some requirements!)

Recent lessons of the developing audiophile:

• Don’t buy speakers without demonstration

• Speaker break in is real...but will not fundamentally change DNA

• Really appreciate the wisdom of this forum!

I recently changed my old B&W Matrix 803 Series 2 with new Dynaudio Countour 60i’s. A number of you helped on my: How important is speaker break-in? post - thanks! The Dyn’s are not fully broken in, but I think I can see where this is going: They have great soundstage, detail, and bass. In comparison, the B&Ws sound smaller, thinner, slightly less detailed overall, and do not throw big bass. (The B&W’s are supplemented nicely with a quality subwoofer, but that still sounds a little more like component parts stitched together, than the way the Dyn’s deliver an integrated output).  

The problem? The Dyn’s are hard in the mids and highs, and my (aging) ears are very sensitive to that. I have some tinnitus that I usually don’t notice...unless a hard or ringing sound sets it off, and these speakers are doing it big time. Immediately fatiguing (unless the recording is just somebody plucking at a bass guitar). The B&Ws are pretty sweet in the mid-range and most recordings don’t trip my hard/edgy line. So, I WILL go demo before buying this time, but I am hoping this group can help narrow the search a bit, and I am letting budget drift up if that helps get it done. Here are constraints and goals, and equipment:

*Absolutely must be smooth and silky - not hard, edgy, ringing, brittle, etc. - in the mids and highs. Ironically, I tend to listen mostly to heavier music, but I care mostly about sweet and detailed delivery of delicate sounds, like vocals and piano. For say, heavy metal, I don’t care if the system reproduces it perfectly, only that it tilts away from ragged, ringing tones as much as possible.

*After that, I want a big, authoritative sound with meaningful bass, detail - everything one would want in a speaker, but compromises can be made.  

*Room Treatments. Room is medium size, does not have treatments, and it is what it is. It is not a dedicated audio room, so I can’t start throwing stuff up on the walls (WAF). (The room does have the benefit of being wood floor applied directly to concrete (with a rug), so at least the floor doesn’t resonate. And it has 2 layers of sheetrock in places). I will live with my room compromises, but the sound coming out the speakers themselves does matter and I want to focus on that.

*Prefer tower style for aesthetics and fit, but open to boxy (e.g. Harbeth) if that’s where I need to go.  

* Equipment: All digital inputs to ARC DAC 8 -> ARC Ref5se preamp -> Bryston 7BSST2 monoblocks (600W). I get that the whole system matters, and that Brystons are supposed to be a little hard. But this problem really started with the new speakers, so that is where I am focusing. If you really think different amps or something are going to turn the Dynaudio’s silky sweet in the mids and high, please say that with some conviction and support.

As always, really appreciate the greater knowledge of this community!

mathiasmingus
My Sonic "Allegria’s" although they do have a pretty large soundstage..I do have them in a 14’ living room and they still sound amazing! Joachim Gerhards Audiophile speakers (Audio Physics) from Germany Flagship models for sale now here for $8900 includes an "Arcam AVR 750" selling my system! Good Luck :)
12-24-2020 5:22pm
We were brystom dealers and it is the combo that is not working also arc gear is not warm

The contours are not bright also this also leads to how are u feeding the dac? A good server can dramatically improve a systems digital playbacks sense of smoothness

Thanks, server is a Bryston BDP2. Based on the combined wisdom of the group, my path is clear: The Dynaudios will be replaced with....a new preamp, DAC, server, Tara labs cables, Panduit power cords, and new acoustic wing to my home. :-)  But seriously, I will take a harder look at total system before making any decisions from here. Thanks all.

With luck you have a dealer/friend that has demo gear that's already 'broke in' you can use for a weekend.

Remember to check back in to post results.
Nobody will recommend it, there is an unspoken rule to never mention the standout solution, even when - "smooth silky midrange and top end, sweet and detailed delivery of delicate sounds, like vocals and piano, After that, I want a big, authoritative sound with meaningful bass, detail - everything one would want in a speaker, but compromises can be made"- yes compromises can be made, and will with all the other suggestions. Big time.

Incoherent.  Dude, please try to look at your post from the outside.  Otherwise you will sound like rump.
Underwood HiFi LSA speakers which I have not heard, but I have had several of his Emerald Physics Open Baffle speakers. Currently out of production, awaiting new models, but his LSAs are box speakers that have gotten numerous excellent reviews

The LSA 20 Statement is a quasi tower. End of year special price

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/lsa-speakers

hth
Mathias,

Not dissimilar from you, I have an 11x18’ room with 9’ ceilings, and a wife to keep happy. The aesthetics are very important to both of us.

We have Zu Druids. Mark V, bought new in 2015 for 7k. I believe the nee revision extends lower and is up to $10k. Which leaves you with 10k leftover for a vanguard fund.
My wife and I are both very happy with the aesthetics and sound. (BTW, she’ll never say any improvements to the signal chain are happening, but she’ll wander into the room and sit and listen when there has been one).

I Demo’d at a show in ‘before times’ when we could still attend audio shows safely. I heard their little brother, The Zu Soul Supreme, at the NYAS. They were the first thing I heard after a very expensive Vandersteen room. And the Zus, powered by a Peachtree nova, just had me leaving the room with a feeling of ease that I didn’t get from the Vandersteens.

I’m using a restored solid state class A integrated, Pioneer A-91D, with its integrated DAC, spinning mostly CDs, sometimes SACDs, sometimes wax, and we watch a lot of movies on our 2 channel system. Zu prefers a lower damming factor. I tried a more expensive amplifier, designed to measure well, the Sony TA-N77es (I’m a vintage 🇯🇵 person clearly) and the Pioneer went back into the chain as it lowers the frequency extension and helps provide a deeper image. I have a very linear midrange. 

Lots of people will recommend Harbeth  and I will strongly second them. I’m saving for SHL5+’s to replace my JBL L100s in my bedroom. The M40 series are shockingly lifelike.

Final plug, if you’re interested in the active route, check out Kii threes. One of the few presentations I’ve heard better than Harbeth.