Speaker Placement - When it's perfect!

So many audiophiles have commented that when your room treatment is completed, your electronics set up and tweaked and most importantly, your speakers are set up in your listening space correctly that you'll know it because everything just sounds so "right" and natural.  I just accomplished that feat in the last two weeks.  I say two weeks because I needed to play a wide variety of recordings to be sure that I'm there.  It is so great to have finally hit just the right set up.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that it has taken me well over a year of experimentation to get to this point.  It's not that other placements yielded poor quality sound its just that now everything sounds like a live event (as much as any of our systems can).

I would really appreciate hearing about your journey to the promised land of audiophile/music lover bliss.  How long did it take, what were the most difficult aspects of the journey?  And if you have yet to get there, what do  you think is the "brick in your wall"?
128x128hifiman5
i can always smell the roses when i play this

” take me down little Suzie, take me down”

Dead Flowers by The Rolling Stones

play it loud !,,,
which does bring up a good point....ever notice all those live plants in the Vandy booths at shows all over the world ?

I also own this XLO Test CD and have found it to be very helpful in setting-up my speakers. Years ago, I had both speakers precisely the same distance from front/side walls and one speaker was always louder and pulling the image away from the center. The Test CD allows you to hear the offending speaker and move it or use the balance or gain on your preamp to effect similar results...

Wig
tomic601
"which does bring up a good point....ever notice all those live plants in the Vandy booths at shows all over the world ?"

Very ironic and probably one of those old wives tales audiophiles sometimes tell since any live plant or flower in the room actually hurts the sound.

Cheers

Hifiman - I also have a basement listening room. I love the quiet of being underground. Mine is a walkout, so I do get some outside noise, but I also get natural light and a door to the outside where I can go light some incense. A fair trade. I definitely noticed how the sound image snapped into focus once I got my toe in correct. I’d never toed my previous speakers in as much as these. But it sounds right.

Now I’m working on the room. I just bought a calibrated mic and have been using REW to take measurements. I’ve definitely found the problem frequencies I was hearing. Now that I have some measurements, it’s time to decide on some bass management..
I can’t wait to hear it when it’s fixed. I remember how good everything above 200Hz sounded when I sorted out absorption in that range.
But bass seems more difficult