Speaker phase and timing

I have a Roger Waters CD that is recorded in Q-Sound. When played, a dog bark is supposed to sound "like it is in the neighbor's yard." However, on my system, it is pegged just left of center between my speakers.

Apparently, my speaker phase and/or timing is wrong. I have tried moving/angling the speakers to little effect. The best I got was sitting three feet from the speakers and the dog bark then came straight from the right speaker. I have fairly decent equipment (Wilson/Krell/Nordost), so perhaps the room is the problem?

Can anyone coach me on how to adjust for proper speaker phase and timing? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
bigamp

Showing 1 response by 240zracer

Get out your Stereophile Test CD, or a test record that has a phasing test track. I know that Sterophile Test CD number two has this, and maybe others. There is a track with a Fender bass guitar being played out of phase and then in phase. When everything is right that guitar snaps to center on the in phase track. I think this is an accurate means of determining if you are out of phase, or if room acoustics are somehow shifting your image. A couple of weeks ago, I discovered, by playing the test CD and the test record, that my cartridge was out of phase! Strange things happen, I guess. I can even imagine the factory messing up the internal wiring of a speaker, although it's hard to imagine Wilson doing it.